Best engine size and bar length for all round use

Elliott.F

1 hour ago, Rob D said:

You can go to a 24" bar on a 50-60cc saw but you may want to switch then to 3/8 chain and skip link.. though that said we will be getting some .325 in skip link in full chisel at some point in the near future.

But in essence - no one saw will do everything well.

I thought a 24” bar on a 50cc might be pushing it especially if cutting oak with the full bar. Is skip link different to skip tooth?

But yes, it’s looking like I might need 2 saws to cover what I’m doing. 

1 hour ago, Stere said:

For a all rounder  50cc with 15in bar.

But if limited to  one saw only a 60cc with 18 in will cover more stuff.

Think you need 2 saws - handy if you get the bar trapped to have spare one with you or if one stops working, and hazel to large  trees is a big range.

What saw do you use atm?

I’m using a 550xp at the moment with 18” bar, but I think you’re right about needing 2 saws. I’m currently thinking of a 572 with 24” bar for firewood and the bigger trees and then sticking a 15” bar on the 550 for everything else. 

Over the years I've had may set ups. Depending on what I am doing. The 50cc saw with a 13" or 15" bar is my go to and has been for many many years. If I'm doing slightly bigger stuff I tend to go for a 60cc saw with an 18" bar.

This covers most situations. If I was to pick one id just have a 50cc.saw with bars from 13 15 and 18 inch  bars. If I could take two I'd have a 70cc with and 18 and 24 inch bars.

I've always had husky saws but if you wanted one saw I'd be tempted by the ms400.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gdh said:

It depends what you're mostly cutting. My go to saws are a 550 with a 15inch bar and a 572 with a 24inch bar and that covers 95% of what I cut.

That’s basically exactly where I’m thinking of going. 550 with 15” for most things, then a 572 with 24” for larger trees and firewood. Cheers. 

• Like 1

my go to saw is my 50cc 346XP on a 15" bar. OK, it isn't particularly standard but it has great AV, is relatively light and is less likely to cock my back up being the old fart I am.

It will handle most stuff up to 24" at a push (cutting either side of the trunk) but probably a 50cc and then a bigger 70cc may be the next step to do larger ringing up as of when necessary.

Generally you need the smallest saw that will cope with the job in an efficient manner.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Elliott.F said:

That’s basically exactly where I’m thinking of going. 550 with 15” for most things, then a 572 with 24” for larger trees and firewood. Cheers. 

Given you have the 550 already, a 70cc saw is a good next step. I would definitely suggest a 20" bar as well as the 24, you'll find it cuts really fast and is great for ringing up.

• Like 1

I myself am in no way a professional faller but if i have a job come in i only have the choice  of my 2 a 560xp running a 20" bar .325  and my little efco 3700 running a 16" bar and 3/8 chain . the 560 is used as my main and the 3700 is there as a back up for if i get the bar pinched or to do a bit of liming and let the 560 have a cuppa tea and a sandwich break. 

• Like 1