Cutting rounds for firewood company

Donnie

You can cut to length pretty accurately by eye if you do plenty of it.

I mainly do my own arb timber, so it’s more important to cut so it will split as easy as possible, which often means short rings round knots, bends and unions.

I think a digger and grab is great, but it does tie up expensive kit and another body, it’s not a one man operation.

Is the other fella on hand all the time Jake?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mark Bolam said:

You can cut to length pretty accurately by eye if you do plenty of it.

I mainly do my own arb timber, so it’s more important to cut so it will split as easy as possible, which often means short rings round knots, bends and unions.

I think a digger and grab is great, but it does tie up expensive kit and another body, it’s not a one man operation.

Is the other fella on hand all the time Jake?

The guys in the yard most of the time if he isn't delivering etc. He hates using a saw and cutting logs, hence why he pays me to do it. So I doubt he will want to tie his day up 

• Like 1

On 05/08/2023 at 22:43, Elliott.F said:

How do you get a uniform length on the rings if cutting by hand ?

Width of my saw including the side handle is about the length of log I want at 9-10" so just use the width of the saw as a guide.

If you want longer logs you can put cable ties on to the side handle and cut them to the length you want the log to be and that's your guide. Wrap duct tape above and below the cable ties on the handle to stop them sliding up and down.

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, Ashes_Firewood said:

Width of my saw including the side handle is about the length of log I want at 9-10" so just use the width of the saw as a guide

When we started doing this it sped up cutting output so much, and meant consistency across various cutters.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ashes_Firewood said:

Width of my saw including the side handle is about the length of log I want at 9-10" so just use the width of the saw as a guide.

If you want longer logs you can put cable ties on to the side handle and cut them to the length you want the log to be and that's your guide. Wrap duct tape above and below the cable ties on the handle to stop them sliding up and down.

Great idea. Thanks for the tip. 

• Thanks 1

I have a similar idea on my saw horse (domestic wood), the supports are the right width apart for my stove, so with a of of over hang at the end cut in between each support gives me the right length

Wheel barrow has a wooden hopper (I was being tight that year, a couple of pallets done nice as a repair), but with a row of nails down the end as a log length guide.

We all have our own ways to measure. Odd that a tape doesn't often come into these measurements

4 hours ago, NJA said:

When we started doing this it sped up cutting output so much, and meant consistency across various cutters.

Curiously I always work up a log on the ground the other way, after a cut reach across and set the saw into the next cut and then shuffle across while it's working.

For me the trick is looking ahead at the log to decide the next cut while the saws half way through, that way you have no thinking time with the saw out of the log just straight in.

• Like 1

Yup. My cuts aren't all bang on 8 inches but I always aim for just below.

Am I charging enough for one man non stop cutting basically from 8-4 280 pound. 

I'll be doing a bit more come Monday 8-5 and will be charging around 315-320. 

Would be good to know as I'd like to see about getting more work doing it as if's a piece of cake and a lot easier than felling trees so it's a nice break. 

Edited by JDon