Is it possible to get firewood to 20% MC if air dried outdoors without a roof in the UK?

Elliott.F

In our damp and rainy climate I’m wondering if anyone here has managed to get their firewood (hard or soft) to 20% or less by stacking outside without any kind of roof. 
Assuming stacked off the ground, for as long as necessary, no more than around 1m high x 1 metre wide and in an area that gets plenty of good airflow/sun/wind?

What do you think?

Edited by Elliott.F

Yup. However I will qualify that - they get moved inside at the end of the summer and before September rains start.

A lot depends on the stacking too - for a few years I made a double / triple log thickness walled den for The Boys in the garden, with log roof. Even in January the inside walls were pretty close to 20%. 1m cubes will get their outer layers wet with rain but if you can angle them downwards a bit the rains runs off the stack. Also helps lifting the stacks off the ground (mine are on bricks, old habits, brick in each corner, long split branch between the, and logs stacked on top). All about air flow.#

Logs dens have stopped now, they wanted a skate board ramp (which also has a den underneath - they like hiding>)

• Like 2

All of mine is stored outside in IBC cages on hardstanding, all have a wooden lid with a decent overhang on top of each double stack.

Average tends to be less than 18% even though the middle of winter.

Edited by GarethM
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Steven P said:

Yup. However I will qualify that - they get moved inside at the end of the summer and before September rains start.

A lot depends on the stacking too - for a few years I made a double / triple log thickness walled den for The Boys in the garden, with log roof. Even in January the inside walls were pretty close to 20%. 1m cubes will get their outer layers wet with rain but if you can angle them downwards a bit the rains runs off the stack. Also helps lifting the stacks off the ground (mine are on bricks, old habits, brick in each corner, long split branch between the, and logs stacked on top). All about air flow.#

Logs dens have stopped now, they wanted a skate board ramp (which also has a den underneath - they like hiding>)

Good advice on stacking. 
Would you say then, that some

kind of roof is essential? Either by moving the wood inside, or by putting a some kind of roof on it?

Your log dens sound awesome. Did you build them a skate ramp?

1 hour ago, Paul in the woods said:

Yep, although to speed things up I stack single rows of logs as I'm only seasoning my own wood. Don't forget if youre using a cheapie moisture meter chances are it'll be reading dry basis so you want it under 25%.

So you can get below 20% without a roof on single row stacks?

• Elliott.F changed the title to Is it possible to get firewood to 20% MC if air dried outdoors without a roof in the UK?
1 hour ago, GarethM said:

All of mine is stored outside in IBC cages on hardstanding, all have a wooden lid with a decent overhang on top of each double stack.

Average tends to be less than 18% even though the middle of winter.

That sounds like the perfect set up. 
I’m assuming the wood is loose in the cages, so getting even better airflow. 
What percentage do you think you could get if you didn’t have the wooden roof?

It is all loose but I fill to the top as it naturally shrinks and settles down, without a lid I would guess 20-25% providing it gets airflow.

I have used tarpaulins in the past, providing they overhang down the sides on the edge of the stacks they will dry perfectly well.

It just isn't easy to acces the stack without it becoming a hazardous sail/parachute.

• Like 1