aspen vs motomix, again

manco

more specifically the oil additive

does anyone have input on the quality of the oil aspen use in the 2stroke fuel?

obviously stihl are using their ultra in motomix, which means premium oil but potentially lower quality petrol than the aspen

if aspen are using oil comparable to stihl super, its potentially not a good for the engine

both are gonna bend me over on the price, so thats less an issue

The real question is what do you use ?.

Maybe see if you can put up a vote for which fuel people use, I suspect 90% are just on petrol station mix.

YMMV, but you don't need a PhD level analysis for choosing your poison.

i currently use shell vpower with husq xp oil

but this is for a brand new 661. 

so im looking at only using either apsen or motomix in it. im just working on figuring out which of those two is the better suited or generally better.

the lubricative properties of the fuel may weigh bigger than the clean-burning properties, but i cant be sure. 
currently i am leaning to apsen. im just wondering if we trust the guff from stihl and trust theyre making the perfect fuel for their saws, as opposed to just better than the other shite

1 hour ago, manco said:

i currently use shell vpower with husq xp oil

but this is for a brand new 661. 

so im looking at only using either apsen or motomix in it. im just working on figuring out which of those two is the better suited or generally better.

the lubricative properties of the fuel may weigh bigger than the clean-burning properties, but i cant be sure. 
currently i am leaning to apsen. im just wondering if we trust the guff from stihl and trust theyre making the perfect fuel for their saws, as opposed to just better than the other shite

Husqvarna Alkylate fuel ( the one without the oil in ) and mix @ 50:1 with Red Line Racing 2T oil .

• Like 1

Stihl motomix is made with Stihl HP Ultra.  Please make your own mind up rather than re-hashing old discussions, but there have been some people querying the quality of this oil 

Another factor that may be important to you, is that I find that the 5 Litre Aspen bottles pour much better than the 5L Stihl Motomix ones.  With Aspen I barely need a funnel, with Motomix I make a mess even with a funnel. You can buy a flexible screw in spout, but rather like phone chargers or Tesla chargers (for the record I wouldn't be seen dead in a Tesla!) they are incompatible.   

Edited by Muddy42
  • Like 1

Anyone done the legwork on cheapest place to buy a 200l drum of Motomix? Last one I bought from local place (Carrs Billington) and was a bargain at £400+vat. It's lasted me 18 months, and I rang up to check price on another knowing fine well it'll have gone up. I was quoted £560+vat 😵💫

4 hours ago, IronMike said:

Anyone done the legwork on cheapest place to buy a 200l drum of Motomix? Last one I bought from local place (Carrs Billington) and was a bargain at £400+vat. It's lasted me 18 months, and I rang up to check price on another knowing fine well it'll have gone up. I was quoted £560+vat 😵💫

Online that seems to be a good price, just been going through that as Esso stopping the ethanol free and think I'll start using ethanol treatment instead.