Bands of yesteryear

eggsarascal

Speaking to our eldest kid today reminded me of some of the concerts he took me to when I was young, GBH an excellent punk band, we think it was 1984, Tunstall town hall, 13 at the time… This is a picture I nicked off the web of them. Anyone got their own pictures of gone and forgotten bands?

77D84BD2-2DE4-4FE6-A77F-793F1CD2968B.webp

• Like 2

Although I dislike the modern way of watching gigs through the screen on your phone, rather than the gig itself, I do wish I had taken more photos of a lot of bands I’ve seen over the years.

The Sugarcubes in Iceland circa 1988 where fantastic, fresh faced pixie Bjork at her finest sonically.

Living in Manchester I got to see a lot of bands on my doorstep, Iggy, Lou,Bowie,Smiths, Happy Mondays, Stone Roses, James,  Blur on their first tour of the Uk at Warrington Rugby Club,(Daman Albarn introduced the band as ‘ we are from from London’ and immediately got hit with a can of Holsten Pils in the face) welcome to the North! He took it well, Mazzy Star and Sparkhorse on at the same venue, and probably my most watched band, The Fall, I’ve got quite a few photos of those guys other the years.

• Like 3

Good thread Eggs.

I was a bit too young for punk, especially going to gigs, but I liked some of it, especially SLF.

Did you ever get to see them?

My best gig was The Smiths at Newcastle Mayfair in 87.

Saw Iron Maiden twice at Newcastle City Hall when Paul Di’anno was still lead singer.

The Pogues at Newcastle Mayfair in 88.

Oasis at Maine Road.

The Boss at Stadium of Light.

GnR at Gateshead stadium.

Loads more, but they’re the standouts.

Great gigs, great times.

I’m happy to draw a line under the live scene now and leave it to the young stagers, nothing modern really floats my boat.

I also don’t want to be that sad old bastard in his fifties still thinking he’s down with the kids.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

I’m happy to draw a line under the live scene now and leave it to the young stagers, nothing modern really floats my boat.

I also don’t want to be that sad old bastard in his fifties still thinking he’s down with the kids.

I’m pretty sure I saw a spectacularly drunk you at a Kaiser Chiefs gig at Bedgebury a few years back?

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

Good thread Eggs.

I was a bit too young for punk, especially going to gigs, but I liked some of it, especially SLF.

Did you ever get to see them?

My best gig was The Smiths at Newcastle Mayfair in 87.

Saw Iron Maiden twice at Newcastle City Hall when Paul Di’anno was still lead singer.

The Pogues at Newcastle Mayfair in 88.

Oasis at Maine Road.

The Boss at Stadium of Light.

GnR at Gateshead stadium.

Loads more, but they’re the standouts.

Great gigs, great times.

Yes I saw Stiff Little fingers at the same gig, in 1981 my brother took me to the monster of rock gig at Port Vale football ground, Ozzy, Lemmy and their crew sat into the early hours of the night, our kid got a right shafting off mum when we got home, highlight was a Lancaster flyby,

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

😂

That was a good night.

Ricky and the boys were on form as far as I can remember….

IMG_8164.png

You look right wired there! Move forward 1996, Hyde Park Corner. Clapton, Dylon, and Ocean Colour Scene as a filler.

• Like 1