What's the best options for cutting your own logs?

Dougie Stirling

I've been a tip site for several years and been using an electric Bosche chainsaw to chop logs into lengths and a large log splitting axe to split the logs. I've 2 wood stores which hold about 6m2 which is enough for a winter. I'm using the wood for our woodburning stove which we use most days for about 6 months over winter, based in Scotland. It's generally quite a lot of work chopping and splitting each year, and I'm wondering if there's a better way to do it. I don't have a lot of space for an electric log splitter. I live in Edinburgh and so i'm already aware the neighbours are likely not loving the noise of the chainsaw. Wondering what folk would recommend or am I doing it about as good as it gets?

Secondly, I sharpen the chain on the chainsaw, and find the electric Bosche chainsaw reliable and pretty good but the chain needs sharpened fairly regularly (about every hour), is this normal? Tree surgeons all seem to use Husqvarna's but I'm thinking the chain would loose it's sharpness just as quickly so why are they so good and should I just be getting a husky chain?

The best chain is Stihl. Every hour is about right. Rakers are important. I’d wager your choke point is manual handling and I’d wager double that a lot of that manual handling is setting the work on a splitting block. Watch Buckin Billy Ray Smith golf swing through rounds on the ground on YouTube. It’s the way. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I tend to have a large round as my chopping block, something like 60-70cm diameter and 15cm thick (the biggest round the tree surgeons have dropped off). Then I put all the other rounds on this and chop through, this means I hit the base round when I split the log so avoid damaging the axe. I've just watched the Buckin Billy and never seen the golf swing approach, looks great for him and I might try it a few times when I'm feeling confident, I'd worry I chopped my toe (no make that foot) in half and I'm doing chopping on a concrete drive which will make it harder. I do season my logs for 12 months before I do my cutting which seems sensible and the logs are also half the weight by then.

I'd still love to know what makes a great chainsaw as my head say's it's got to be the chain that makes the difference so should I be spending on a fancy chain? Good to know I'm sharpening about the right amount of time thanks.

I’ve no idea what chain comes on a Bosch saw but from experience I think the Oregon chains don’t last as long between sharpening as a Stihl or husky chain. Some may say it’s just my imagination but when we tried different chains I was definitely sharpening and changing the Oregon ones more often. Note down the chain sizes and try a different make next time you need a chain. @Rob D at Chainsawbars.co.uk would be a good place to start on line or your local Stihl/husky dealer. 

also try splitting your wood green a lot of timber splits easier green and it will dry quicker as it has a bigger surface area once split.

• Thanks 1

There's not a huge difference in pro chains, I use Rotatech for commercial production because they're the best value but Stihl, Oregon and Husqvarna are all good. 

Main thing is to avoid any mud or stones and a chain should last a long time if you're only cutting across logs. Keep an eye that that the bar doesn't wear too much as that can affect cutting as much as the chain when it gets really bad.

If you can't justify a splitter it might be worth investing in a good axe depending on what you have.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all replies, I've a roughneck splitting maul which seems to work well when the logs are drier but bounces back when they're wet. That's a good idea about splitting when green to dry quicker, I'll go try that tomorrow as I've 4 tonnes of logs on the drive which is why I thought worth asking for advice. 

I'm not sure what chains I have but I'll check and try some other brands to see if it makes any difference. I'm a go for good value guy as thanks for shout out on what's good value.

Blimey, I'm still watching Buckin Billy on Youtube and seems I'm doing it all wrong. Perhaps I need a sharper axe too 🙂  

If you do a lot of splitting of round, smaller stuff, then get an old car tyre, place- or fix it- on your splitting block then pack it with cut logs and get splitting with a maul.  They do not fly all over the place but stay put- if you've packed say 6 or 7 logs into the tyre you will have them split an lot , lot faster than doing them one at a time.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AHPP said:

The best chain is Stihl. Every hour is about right. Rakers are important. I’d wager your choke point is manual handling and I’d wager double that a lot of that manual handling is setting the work on a splitting block. Watch Buckin Billy Ray Smith golf swing through rounds on the ground on YouTube. It’s the way. 

Just been checking out what the rakers are on a chain and I've never adjusted them, I'll have a look at this tomorrow and hope it helps - thanks for advice. Chain will have been run for about 20-30hrs so might make a huge difference.

• Like 2

If you haven’t got a gauge for the rakers file 1 stroke off them to about 10 or 12 file strokes on the teeth.

if it’s grabby you have taken to much off if you have fine dusty saw dust they need more off.

• Thanks 1