Aerial Rescue Practice

krummholz

36 minutes ago, benedmonds said:

I am playing  devils advocate here, but no one has mentioned that aerial rescue practice is dangerous.. I am sure there has been at least one death durring training and that was with a professional trainer on site.

Is it possible that there would actually be more accidents after all this training?

How do you justify it under the WAH hierarchy of risk..? 

Aerial rescue practice isn't dangerous, or at least shouldn't be. It's risky. And those risks can be mitigated. It's not an unimportant consideration but the benefits of practicing it justify doing it.

I'd be interested to see the incident report or anything you have about the fatality during training if you could find it?

1 minute ago, krummholz said:

That doesn't address my point. And while I disagree with you, you're right one on thing, this is tediously boring.

I'll do it the way I want it. I only asked a specific question about aerial rescue practice, and wasn't expecting to be derailed into defending aerial rescue itself. But this is Arbtalk after all!

And you got your answer, the vast majority of UK Arb firms don’t conduct regular Aerial Rescue Training despite what the AA and TG1 states, and no one on here has come out and stated that they do them as a matter of course either, seems pretty conclusive.

3 minutes ago, krummholz said:

I'd be interested to see the incident report or anything you have about the fatality during training if you could find it?

I’d be interested in the data showing the numbers of fatalities that could have been avoided through aerial rescue practice too.

29 minutes ago, 5thelement said:

I’d be interested in the data showing the numbers of fatalities that could have been avoided through aerial rescue practice too.

I'm extremely frustrated that we have no proper statistics , or reports on accidents, that would help us be safer. Id climb on two ropes every day and practice aerial rescue every 6 months if I thought it would really help.

I think the example of speeding is actually a good one, we end up finding a level of risk which is tolerable. It would be safer if everyone drove at 50mph but we tolerate the increased risk and crack on. Hundreds of people get killed every year on the roads too.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, 5thelement said:

And you got your answer, the vast majority of UK Arb firms don’t conduct regular Aerial Rescue Training despite what the AA and TG1 states, and no one on here has come out and stated that they do them as a matter of course either, seems pretty conclusive.

Calm down dearest, the threads only been open for 5 days. Some people don't check Arbtalk for weeks at a time. You'd be daft to draw the conclusions you're making from a handful of replies here.

Edited by krummholz

30 minutes ago, krummholz said:

Calm down dearest, the threads only been open for 5 days. Some people don't check Arbtalk for weeks at a time. You'd be daft to draw the conclusions you're making from a handful of replies here.

Let’s see next week then 👍 Dan Maynard has just stated he doesn’t climb on two ropes everyday or do aerial rescue every six months, thats the general view of TG1.

Edited by 5thelement

Most of us don’t, we’re trying to make money.

Arb work isn’t regulated like gas or sparky work. 

Until it is you’re pissing in the wind I’m afraid krummholz.

The truth is you’re either self rescuing or you’re bolloxed.

• Like 6

57 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

I'm extremely frustrated that we have no proper statistics , or reports on accidents, that would help us be safer.

That’s because all injuries a lumped into one wether it’s a homeowner on a ladder, travelling wilbury or professional, anyway HSE and the AA have already covered that for you and produced TG1 for you to then ignore.
One thing to consider, after nearly 30 years in this industry I have never heard anyone say,  “Thank good for fat Pat the groundy who’s dexterity and speed putting in his harness and accessing the tree saved my life”.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mark Bolam said:

Most of us don’t, we’re trying to make money.

Arb work isn’t regulated like gas or sparky work. 

Until it is you’re pissing in the wind I’m afraid krummholz.

Would you support (better) regulation then?

2 hours ago, 5thelement said:

Let’s see next week then 👍 Dan Maynard has just stated he doesn’t climb on two ropes everyday or do aerial rescue every six months, thats the general view of TG1.

I'll leave it as long as I like thanks. This isn't a comprehensive survey of compliance with the WAHR and the ICoP/best practice in UK arb - I asked a question in the hope that folk would have useful and interesting things to say.