Battery vs petrol.

Trailoftears

The pro  mowers  seem no more lightweight than petrol maybe even heavier like the cars coz the of the batteries.

WWW.PROTOOLREVIEWS.COM

If you want the best Makita lawn mower, we've reviewed nearly every model and have the testing, data, runtime, and more to...

Interesting negative review in the comments about one model

The bottom model is 45kg

9 hours ago, Trailoftears said:

The problem with battery mowers I see is they have to be lightweight,which means plasticky and non-durable from a commercial point of view, also,some aren't s.propelled which is a no-go work-wise.I would think there's a long road to go before they're acceptable to the commercial community unless you have the luxury to carry 2 or even 3 mowers for your daily schedule 

The Milwaukee is self propelled, steel deck, equivalent to 200cc and a three year warranty which is what I'm looking at.

The commercial outfits I know use Ego because they have the full range of battery tools for gardening right up to ride ons.

I had a lot of Makita battery tools - so adding a few extra - like a chainsaw, brushcutter/strimmer and hedge trimmer - made sense.

All are 2 x 18v versions.

None are quite as powerful as their 'equivalent' Stihl 2-stroke products [which I also have] - but they do have other virtues.

Lighter, low maintenance, quieter, cheaper to run.  So get used for different jobs.  Hedge trimmer much less pressure on the arms at height, brushcutter/strimmer quieter to use when close to neighbours, chainsaw quieter and easier for more people to use.

In truth - they work for 90% of the jobs I do. 

Using two 5 ah batteries and they last almost as long as a tank of Aspen.

Also in nearly 10 years of use - had to replace none of the batteries - yet.  [I always keep them charged-up - never let them run completely flat].

On balance - I'm very happy.  Likely that dedicated Stihl or Husky battery products are better [?] - but had already bought into the Makita system.  Do I think that the difference between Makita and Stihl will be night and day?  Doubtful.

I also have a Makita mains electric chainsaw - and that never gets used anymore.  It's more powerful [and really torquey] - but it's surprising heavy and I just hate the cord.

I wouldn't bother with a Makita battery blower as it does eat batteries [when I borrowed one - this is what I found too].

Not convinced by any of the Makita battery mowers yet, either.  But then I don't cut grass every week so my mowers have to tackle longer grass.

But that may change in time.

With the Makita brushcutter/strimmer I experimented with replacement heads and different grades and brands of cord until I found one that worked really well.  That also makes a difference.

I also noticed a difference between the brushed and brushless versions of the tools.  So that's worth thinking about if buying and if have a choice - go brushless.

• Like 3

I found battery life on the Makita DUR369AZ strimmer  is only less than 15mins with string or blade  which limts its usefulness alot.

Its still very handy to access trees growing in brambles/balckthorn etc as works  well with the mulch blade.

Now i just keep to for mulching & don't bother using the string bump head have a petrol one suits that better

Money was not object battery mower - looks like like mars rover :)

Test, avis et prix : Tondeuse à gazon sur batterie PELLENC RASION 2 SMART |  Zone Outillage

A 1600w motor for  60cm cut is impressive if it works as well as claimed...

18 hours ago, Bolt said:

I’ve never tried it, I would imagine that if someone rocked up on a forestry or arb site toting a dewalt or makita saw, they may get similar piss-taking as a chippy would if he went to work brandishing a load of ‘parkside’ kit.

DeWalt and Makita are different league saws, the Makita stuff holds up. I've tried the T540i and no doubt it cuts fast, but it's bloody heavy. Imo.

I take the Mak saws to arb sites and don't get piss taking, anyone who owns a T540i is really impressed how light the single battery one is. On hedges and reductions the cut speed is irrelevant, I'm very happy the saw is lighter.

If you're comparing petrol saws it's like saying the 540 is superior in every way to the 525. Well it's more powerful and cuts faster, but it's bigger and heavier and I wouldn't want the extra weight if I don't need it.

• Like 1

I work for a customer who is somewhat like myself-i.e a gadget boy!the difference being he runs about 3 or 4 successful companies and has no financial constraints at all (swine!).so he has the unlimited opportunity to try many battery systems-mak/Milwaukee/also latterly snapper.Some time ago I tried his new 20v? Milwaukee chainsaw-what a horrible,heavy pig with the old-fashioned electric style transverse motor-I wouldnt touch it with a bargepole tbh! Obviously,being a diplomatic sort of cove+given he gives me loads of work,I tried to murmer vaguely encouraging noises!On the other hand,he also let me loose on his makita 18v telescopic tree lopper which I rather liked tbf,however,I couldn't really justify such an esoteric,rarely used tool for myself-tho God knows I tried.😁 As to my own makita related chainsaw low powered tools I really like the fact that the 18v duc254 and the little makita petrol dcs230T  both use the the identical 10" bar+low profile chain.Also I noticed his telescopic mak lopper again used the same cutting parts.So there's good symmetry,cost efficiency in these particular trio of battery tools.Even then,I knew in my heart of hearts,I could neither justify or afford the telescopic pole pruner for occasional use-but I gamely tried to justify it to myself!

• Like 1

I've taken an extremely long hard look at the range of makita battery mowers and also the stihl range.Obviously for daily work they need to be  (reasonably) robust/with a decent steel blade between 18-21",and it goes without saying-s.propelled!I simply cannot see anything out there that comes close to my pair of petrol mowers-stihl series 2 20" for bog standard typical suburban 'rectangles' on the flat,plus a kubota 21" kaaz derived mower for steep up and downs/the odd lawns up to tennis court size x 3/bouncing over woodland lawn areas with perched tree roots plus a generous scattering of big pine cones,then come late Autumn,a liberal depth of bullet -like beech mast.Batterywise as far as I can see, there's no credible choices out there yet?

4 minutes ago, Trailoftears said:

I've taken an extremely long hard look at the range of makita battery mowers and also the stihl range.Obviously for daily work they need to be  (reasonably) robust/with a decent steel blade between 18-21",and it goes without saying-s.propelled!I simply cannot see anything out there that comes close to my pair of petrol mowers-stihl series 2 20" for bog standard typical suburban 'rectangles' on the flat,plus a kubota 21" kaaz derived mower for steep up and downs/the odd lawns up to tennis court size x 3/bouncing over woodland lawn areas with perched tree roots plus a generous scattering of big pine cones,then come late Autumn,a liberal depth of bullet -like beech mast.Batterywise as far as I can see, there's no credible choices out there yet?

Does it have to be Makita? Milwaukee do one and Ego have a range.

No,but I have a bagful of makita 18v batteries built up over the years.As to the stihl battery mowers,I think I would have to go out and spend maybe 2 grand on just the bigger batteries to do a full days mixed mowing of say 9-10 hours.As to a doeable makita mower,the only one I can see that would work for me uses its own large/v.expensive specific battery to just THAT particular mower!Dont recall exactly but its a big lump-possibly designed for your back.As to the stihl battery mowers sq.metre battery range-for myself its pitiful tbh.