Battery vs petrol.

Trailoftears

14 minutes ago, Stere said:

I have the two sided makita 18v trimmer best battery OPE tool I have used alot nicer to use than petrol. Cuts proabably about 15mm max id guess.

Don't rate the makita 18v topper or 2x18v brushcutter as highly as the hedge trimmer as petrol versions work better in performance but the  18v topper is handier than petrol in stop start situations - has to be nursed when used as think is only a 600w motor so can't do that much.

Was tempted with the blower but saw the battery life was terrible got a husky one,   4 stroke power to weight seems very inferior to 2 stroke....only benefit  less emissions & slight saving on fuel?

Like my makita corded chainsaw though its a very old design i  sure could be improved  with a brushless motor etc....

One thing annyoning about battery is why not be upfront about the motors Kw rating the datas always hidden away if even available?

As Kw rating gives a good indication of the machines preformance or lack of it...

I agree re: 4 stroke machines-not convinced by the concept.But took a punt on a £167 makita blower.All I can say is it is weirdly quiet and not overly heavy.I find the idea of its sump only holding/needing 70ml of engine oil quite scary!But I seriously doubt I would ever consider buying say-a £700 4 stroke brushcutter over a 2 stroke one.

Does the Makita 4 stroke blower have enough puff though? I've been looking at those myself.

Id buy your DUC254 if you were local as I seem to have worn mine out, trigger or board fault. It's done a lot of pruning and a hell of a lot of hedge work, no need for cutting performance it's all about quick easy re-start when topping conifer, or having an engine running when you put it down.

26 minutes ago, Stere said:

As Kw rating gives a good indication of the machines preformance or lack of it...

Only one I can think of is latest Stihl that's supposed to be 261 equivalent, sadly it's quite a bit heavier. 

I've said before that I don't see battery taking over the big saws, it comes down to energy density. It's not a question like laptop or phones where the device efficiency has been so massively improved, cutting wood takes a certain amount of energy and so the fundamental physics are against you.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

Does the Makita 4 stroke blower have enough puff though? I've been looking at those myself.

Id buy your DUC254 if you were local as I seem to have worn mine out, trigger or board fault. It's done a lot of pruning and a hell of a lot of hedge work, no need for cutting performance it's all about quick easy re-start when topping conifer, or having an engine running when you put it down.

Just now, Trailoftears said:

Re:the makita blower, it has enough puff to do all my summer jobs-clearing out drives/lanes after covering the whole area with strimmer debris!Also cleaning off lawn edges,tarmac areas after strimming edges etc.Plus it comes with an extra curved nozzle too,good value for £170 notes tbf.No anti-vib,but not an issue for quick 20 min clean-ups.

38 minutes ago, Trailoftears said:

Check out the latest husky/stihl catalogues!

Exactly.

The pro battery stuff in there is a completely different calibre of tool to those ones that are based on batteries designed for builders or diy tools.

I’ve never tried it, I would imagine that if someone rocked up on a forestry or arb site toting a dewalt or makita saw, they may get similar piss-taking as a chippy would if he went to work brandishing a load of ‘parkside’ kit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So in what way do you imagine that husky/stihl battery technology is better given their extremely late arrival to the market (some would accuse them of belatedly jumping on the bandwagon extremely late in the day),Say,to Milwaukee/makita who have a solid reputation going back over 15+years,gained both in the diy+pro builder/shopfitters community?Who in my experience will soon call out rubbish gear online.Do  stihl/husky have some magic lithium battery unknown to to lithium battery users over the last 20 years that they have decided to share with us uneducated battery users extremely late in the day?Or possibly could it be they have thought-'effin hell',we need some of this moolah right now!