Storing logs for milling

Dilz

Just wondering if logs should be stored a particular way for milling.  I've got some oak in my yard  and wanting to mill it but was planning on waiting until its some what cooler / autumn.  I checked on the logs today and a couple of the longer ones have some major cracks in them  The shorter stuff hasn't split att all really - They are currently in a pile that probably gets too much sun - so figure it might be an idea to try and get some shade over them - or its it just a case of leave them be for now and mill them when its not so hot outside? 

Oak logs won’t dry until they are milled.  The ends will dry and maybe split a little but many of the end shakes will be there regardless of time since felling.  If you want the sapwood to be sound mill then within a year of felling.  Otherwise don’t worry.

And yes it is wise to mill oak after the warm weather has passed to minimise surface checking as the boards dry.

• Like 3

keep an eye on them for insect attack too( usually June to Aug), especially if stored in full sun, heat ferments sugars in sap and attracts the little b******s.. 

you can mill oak in summer if boards are sticked with proper sticks and maybe builders hessian wrapped over cut logs to reduce  air flow thereby slowing drying rate, 

• 2 weeks later...

To be honest I would just leave like Squaredy said I can hear the boards cracking already ,I milled some spalted beech a few days ago and that started to crack with the heat but got my banding kit out banded it up and put it in the shade .

• Like 1