Settled

eggsarascal

19 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

You can’t help setting your lip up, as I told you in that pm, one day someone will swing your jaw if you aren’t careful. Probably best to keep out of my posts from now on.

🙄

Now why’d you have to stir shit up again?

• Like 1

Personally I think Airbnb is a blight on small rural communities. 

Last time I visited Skye there were lots of happy tourists walking down from their self-catering accommodation into Portree looking for supper.

They were to be disappointed when many of the restaurants were empty, closed, and locked by 8pm. The reason? A lack of staff to work in them.... because no one can afford to live on Skye due to the shortage of accommodation following the rise of.... You guessed it; Airbnb.

Fair enough if you don't live in your house but personally I think renting to someone who'll live there is the socially responsible thing to do. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, josharb87 said:

Come on now eggs, an outsider reading this thread, trig obviously said something mean, you pulled him up on it, he’s changed his post and even apologized. 
Now out of the blue you decide to poke him 🤷‍♂️ 

Fair play, I posted that I’d just got a new place, he posted, words to the affect, that no one needed to know this shit. He should Keep the feck out of it if he’s nothing pleasant to say. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Jackalope said:

Last time I visited Skye there were lots of happy tourists walking down from their self-catering accommodation into Portree looking for supper.

They were to be disappointed when many of the restaurants were empty, closed, and locked by 8pm. The reason? A lack of staff to work in them.... because no one can afford to live on Skye due to the shortage of accommodation following the rise of.... You guessed it; Airbnb.

Fair enough if you don't live in your house but personally I think renting to someone who'll live there is the socially responsible thing to do. 

Same scenario in much of Cornwall, and pretty much anywhere else in the UK that's nice. I don't think Airbnb is purely responsible though. It's a much bigger issue of second home ownership and domestic tourism. Not an easy one to resolve but something definitely needs to be done to control it at least. I agree, renting to a local is the ideal in terms of social responsibility. Another option is to penalise landlords for having houses sat empty for too much of the year, as they're doing in Wales now I believe.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sime42 said:

Same scenario in much of Cornwall, and pretty much anywhere else in the UK that's nice. I don't think Airbnb is purely responsible though. It's a much bigger issue of second home ownership and domestic tourism. Not an easy one to resolve but something definitely needs to be done to control it at least. I agree, renting to a local is the ideal in terms of social responsibility. Another option is to penalise landlords for having houses sat empty for too much of the year, as they're doing in Wales now I believe.

It’s the same here, I could rent it out at £750/month, or Airbnb it at £150/night, obviously Airbnb is more work but I’ve bought it as an investment that I need the best return on. The only benefit I’ve got is an address of my own.

• Like 1

You can't ignore economics like that obviously. Your case is an exception to the majority of holiday lets I guess, in that it's your only property and by choosing not to live in it, or any other house you're kind of automatically not making the housing shortage any worse. (Can't really explain that very well but it makes sense in my head I think). 

The real issue is 2nd, 3rd, 4th or nth home owners.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, sime42 said:

You can't ignore economics like that obviously. Your case is an exception to the majority of holiday lets I guess, in that it's your only property and by choosing not to live in it, or any other house you're kind of automatically not making the housing shortage any worse. (Can't really explain that very well but it makes sense in my head I think). 

The real issue is 2nd, 3rd, 4th or nth home owners.

Why not, it’s my place and I’ll do what I want with it.? All I asked was does anyone do Airbnb m.

• Confused 3

4 hours ago, Jackalope said:

Sorry to say it, Skye has been ruined by over-tourism.

Bring back the Skye Bridge toll !!!!

It's not even just airbnb, there's probably thousands of people that visit the island every day who don't stay the night, on day tours from Glasgow/Edinburgh/Inverness.

Almost every American tourist I chat to on the mainland is visiting the Isle of Skye as part of the trip.

Scotland has over 790 offhsore islands, 93 of them are inhabited. Yet everyone heads for the 1 island.

Edited by scbk