Setting up a small time firewood business

Donnie

I've just found this one and this ticks a lot of boxes. 

I see on Youtube a lot of Americans use those Eastonmade splitters and they look amazing. Quick return on the knife etc. 

2.2 for a splitter doesn't seem all too bad. 

Not sure what other brands are worthy of looking at...

IMG_3227.png

5 minutes ago, doobin said:

If you're mainly going to be selling softwood then I'd look to get yourself a small processor. Way easier than crosscutting and the log splitter, and softwood will fly through it.

I suppose you have to start somewhere and that would be a goal to aim for. 

This is only going to be a night time/weekend thing as I'm felling Monday to Friday. 

3 hours ago, JDon said:

I suppose you have to start somewhere and that would be a goal to aim for. 

This is only going to be a night time/weekend thing as I'm felling Monday to Friday. 

Yes but you are renting a yard rather than just processing from a stack in the woods like most small operators do?

Processors are seriously quick on the right timber, and softwood is nearly always the right size timber! The other cheaper option would be a HakkePilke Eagle- circular saw for up to 10" if memory serves, and a screw splitter. Two of you on that with easy to split softwood would fly through.

Logs cut with a chainsaw are irrgular and messy, as well as damn hard work. Processors or the Eagle provide a much cleaner log which is also a factor.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JDon said:

I've just found this one and this ticks a lot of boxes. 

I see on Youtube a lot of Americans use those Eastonmade splitters and they look amazing. Quick return on the knife etc. 

2.2 for a splitter doesn't seem all too bad. 

Not sure what other brands are worthy of looking at...

IMG_3227.png

That 22T Venom is painfully slow, you would struggle to make a living with that machine, it is useful for busting up difficult to split/larger rings into more manageable pieces, not much if anything that machine will not split though. As you say you’ve got to start somewhere and will depend on your budget but try and avoid purchasing a machine which as you do more firewood is not up to expectations. They will demonstrate machines at Rock Machinery if contacted before a visit also they are likely to be at the Royal Highland Show, Edinburgh later this month. Best to have a good look about and see what various machines can do at dealers in the area, also you might consider hire if anything decent available for hire. Those American Easternmade machines will likely be relatively expensive and not sure about dealership in UK but I think there is one now. 

Edited by Vedhoggar
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

The eastern made splitters look awsome I tried to buy one in the uk once but the eastern pulled the plug with the supplier a couple of weeks before it was due and I don’t think anywhere else in the uk sell them from what I can see.

jensen make a decent kinetic log splitter (can’t tenner the model) and again I can’t find a supplier in the uk only in the eu