There must a lot of trust involved in selling timber,standing or at roadside etc?

On 30/05/2023 at 22:35, cessna said:

I ask the above as a lot of wood is being extracted from a wood not far from our house. When walking by the stacks of different grades of cordwood and trunks on the ground which I think may be good enough to be containerised and sent to the far east (Vietnam??),I said to my wife there has to be a lot of trust  between the landowner and the tree extraction company, as regards keeping track of how  many artic loads/tonnages of wood that leave the estate,as open to a few loads going missing !!!!!    

Most of these landowners directly or indirectly employ the services of a woodland management company that oversees the whole circus, I don't think many of the smaller woodland owners ever see much of a return on timber if any, most of it is swallowed up in management,maintenance and restocking.

Bob

• Like 3

22 hours ago, aspenarb said:

Most of these landowners directly or indirectly employ the services of a woodland management company that oversees the whole circus, I don't think many of the smaller woodland owners ever see much of a return on timber if any, most of it is swallowed up in management,maintenance and restocking.

Bob

This is where fools like me step in, cut out the circus.

5 hours ago, AHPP said:

What do you do?

Everything!

Work out a plan for the wood,  timber volumes,  what the owner want to do with the wood, and tie that in with a felling regime.

Sort out the felling licences EPS checks and maps. Unleash the gibbon horde of subbies to fell and extract. Pay the woodland owner for the standing timber. Sort out buyers and transport for the cut timber.

Generally i am working small woods and extracting less than 300 tonnes.

• Like 4

For mixed hardwoods we do all the management (paperwork, felling licenses, dealing with windblow over fences and minimal restocking because it mostly reseeds itself). I have sold small quantities both roadside (windblown trees all over the place where I wanted to be in control) and standing timber (where we had to deal with subsequent damage to fields and walls).  By volume maybe 50% poor mill timber and 50% firewood.  I would say neither sales approach was particularly lucrative, maybe a few £k of profit after costs.  The firewood market isn't as strong in Scotland as parts of England.  Its more work that has to be done rather than a get-rich-quick scheme, given how long hardwoods take to mature.