Stihl HS 82T

Stihl going

Folks, I have a Stihl HS82T that's been inherited and its a starter but i think it needs some TLC. I have tried to find info and such on you tube to no avail and I think the problem is called "bogging down".

After running for a couple of mins whilst sorting some small hedges the engine would struggle then cut out when i tried to rev it. The blades would stop just prior to this. It did it a few times so i stopped.

This happened a couple of weeks prior and I binned the fuel for fresh stuff.

I noticed that I had black splatters on the blade nearest the exhaust and it appears that there is excess fuel coming from here and I think the engine is not burning all the fuel, hence the spatter and then dying.

Tried the machine again a few days a go and the same thing happened.

I have seen that there is a known issue with clogged spark arrestors but this model does not have one.

What could be the issue?

I have Stihl combi's that i can use in the mean time but I do like the feel of the 82T.

I am fairly new to 2 stroke "pottering" and i want to try myself before going to the workshop. Maybe save a couple of bob too 🙂

I have not done anything to it other than changed the fuel and looked into the muffler.

Thanks in advance.

What's the compression like. What mixture ratio oil are you using? Have you taken the plug out to see if it's oiled or coked up. If so.....particularly if it's coked up, the gap between electrodes can get reduced due to carbon. Clean it right up or replace and re-fit. If it's very oily then it indicates a very rich mix currently or it has been used in the past with a rich mix. Not only can it oil the plug up, but importantly it can block up the muffler (spark arrester or not) which decreases power..that's if it will start at all. If you think its been run on a rich mix for sometime, then remove the muffler and run it without it fitted...long enough to see whether that overcomes your issues. This will also give you the opportunity to inspect the condition of the piston...which could also be an issue.

I wouldn't automatically start stripping down a carb just yet.

As Pleasant says, it is running rich but do the simple thing first...clean the air filter thoroughly not just a wipe over, get some carb cleaner, WD40 or similar on it and a blast from a compressor air line.

It is possible the air filter is blocked....you could fit a new one, they don't cost much. 

Take a look at the choke and ensure it is not flipping on somehow.

Has someone been cocking around with the carb settings, won't be the first time.

Are the blades free and reciprocating easily? If they are binding, it is possible that the machine isn't revving out and building up unburnt fuel.

Check the plug, if it is black, the saw is rich and the plug should be tan if running correctly. If the plug isn't NGK or Bosch, change it and get one from a reputable dealer, there are a few knockoffs floating around 

• Like 1

Chaps, thanks for the replies so far. I've only started the tinkering / pottering a couple of months back and i'm (weirdly) enjoying it. Been using an FR350 for over 20 years and only ever had 3 issues with that. Best machine I ever owned. Truly a novice but managed to inherit a "fleet" of other very decent machines recently and have had great success. This one has me perplexed as my hair gets grey(er).

Mix my own 50/1 using UL +HD and that's never given me any issues in my saws.

Just upgraded to a 261 which came with motomix so feel compelled to run that saw on that fuel but the rest of the kit can have the regular stuff.

I thought it was a rich mix in the 82T but after the change i was confused.

Plenty of food for thought there folks so i'll have a butchers and if it's rectified then i'll shout back. Any other theories welcome as well. TIA.

12 hours ago, Stihl going said:

Been using an FR350 for over 20 years and only ever had 3 issues with that. Best machine I ever owned.

Interesting, I have a FR480C, languishing in my shed for a few years, with a duff battery. This is the model with electric start and apparently no choke. The owner didn't want to pay for a new battery. Do you know if any of the pull start models like your, starter-recoil mechanism would fit?

41 minutes ago, Stihl going said:

I have no idea Squire, and I have only just started the tinkering side of things. If I owned your model I'd be posing the Q's too. Maybe a new thread or someone with knowledge will assist.

I asked before but they don't seem at all common