Step ladders

RobG 86

When I worked for myself I had a 10ft 3 adjustable leg Hendon/ workware tripod that did the majority of the hedges, superb ladder. I cut a swimming pool noodle float for the top two rungs not only did this cushion my shins but also protected the ladder from chafing in the truck/trailer. I also used the single leg 16ft tripod for Treework. Very handy but not really needed from the start. 
For smaller hedges I had a little giant style youngman ladder. This was useful as when not extended you could comfortably stand on the top 4ft next to a hedge and have a wide footplate of the four rungs and work without twisting . Had wheels so you could drag it along to next section of hedge without having to put the hedge cutter down. Was fairly heavy and not practical on unlevel  ground but could be extended to 8ft as a step ladder or folded out as a straight ladder which was useful at times.

IMG_0169.jpeg

Edited by Husqvarna King
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Husqvarna King said:

When I worked for myself I had a 10ft 3 adjustable leg Hendon/ workware tripod that did the majority of the hedges, superb ladder. I cut a swimming pool noodle float for the top two rungs not only did this cushion my shins but also protected the ladder from chafing in the truck/trailer. I also used the single leg 16ft tripod for Treework. Very handy but not really needed from the start. 
For smaller hedges I had a little giant style youngman ladder. This was useful as when not extended you could comfortably stand on the top 4ft next to a hedge and have a wide footplate of the four rungs and work without twisting . Had wheels so you could drag it along to next section of hedge without having to put the hedge cutter down. Was fairly heavy and not practical on unlevel  ground but could be extended to 8ft as a step ladder or folded out as a straight ladder which was useful at times.

IMG_0169.jpeg

We have literally the same set up. The Little Giants only get used every now and again but can do things the Hendons can’t so worth having. If you can only afford one get the Tripod Style first. 

• Like 2

Am I the only one wobbling around on a triple ladder/A frame that cost about £100 then? Tripods are expensive, ungainly to move around and you can't flip and extend to access bigger trees.

8ft has been a brilliant height Aframe because of the number of people who want a hedge cutting down to about 8 foot to make it easier to manage, just work height from the top rung.

If you only have one ladder it's a good compromise, imho.

• Like 1