No speed adjustment on Honda HRH 536 mower?

sandspider

Hi folks

As above. I have an ancient Honda self propelled mower. It works well, but the adjustment slider for ground speed doesn't change anything, one speed only. Engine speed / choke control works, as do the bars for engaging blades and drive. I've had a look at the wire coming off the ground speed control lever, but it gets mixed up with the wire to the lever than engages the drive, so I can't see what (if anything) is wrong. There's a kind of yoke thing that the speed control lever moves, and this just slides along the drive engagement wire - I wonder if this yoke shouldn't slide? (I don't have access to the mower at the moment, so can't take pics and have to rely on my dubious memory!)

It's not the end of the world to use it as it is, but it there's a simple fix to give me back ground speed control that would be useful?

Thanks.

Pic attached. So, the bit with the split pin moves back and forth along the U shaped orange plastic thing as the speed lever is moved. But when the drive is engaged, the split pin moves freely with the large spring at the left. It seems that adjusting the speed lever might just move the split pin up and down a bit, and this may be all its supposed to do. But this doesn't make the ground speed change...

IMG_20230429_124225_copy_1200x1600_1.thumb.jpg.a67e6f12f5938339b123cfb94881c192.jpg

1 hour ago, Dan Maynard said:

Is a rusty cable possible? Cheap to fix, my chipper drive was getting worse and worse but new tandem cycle brake cables sorted it for about a tenner.

That's a better idea than buying the proper mower part too. I'll have to look some out as I am building a bittza honda engined mower, with the rusted out deck replaced by one from a mountfield battery electric with a defunct control circuit. Battery being repurposed into a Halford jump start pack, replacing the dead gel cell.

4 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

Is a rusty cable possible? Cheap to fix, my chipper drive was getting worse and worse but new tandem cycle brake cables sorted it for about a tenner.

Good thought, thanks. I've managed to find a workshop manual so I'll pull the drive apart and see what's rusty / broken / needs adjusting.