Help. Is this copper beech diseased?

alee

I've moved into a property with a very old, huge (3/4) storeys high copper beech.

It hasn't had any maintenance for years. It has a TPO. It doesn't look very healthy. I'm not sure of it is diseased. It has white splodges all over. The bark appears cracked and split. Round black mould? Areas. Also appears to have bled in areas. Is there anything I can do to prevent further damage?16819033538385054575421476889042.thumb.jpg.941c47b6c654a2092519f3321f8095f8.jpg

16819033816224237254612693121650.jpg

16819033959593445667286169206211.jpg

16819034123504720417910201113870.jpg

As Mick and Steve have said it would need an on site inspection.

The co-dominant stems with included bark is certainly a concern. I would say at a minimum it would require a crown reduction and possibly a brace installed. 

hart to tell from the marking on the main stem but could be a number of things. Possible canker or just some staining from water run off from the tight union. 

I would say get a survey done by a professional and see what they suggest. If the tree is a hazard and in need of work then the TPO on the tree is irrelevant. But if the tree needs to be removed then you may have to replace it which would mean planting a tree within 5 metres of the original. The size/specification will be up to the tree officer and what they see fit.

The white splodges are lichens , there is some scaring probably from having things nailed to it , the fact it’s had a half enveloped hanger in the first pic shows the tree is healthy and vigorous to cope with wound wood…there would be nothing really there that would concern me from the photo , even the included union. That said I would still get it looked at professionally as even if you put a lot more pics up on here of things we would want to see like … right in the buttress roots and some of the overall crown, there is still some thing we could miss… get a professional arborist though not some door knocker , the arb association approved contractor list is a good place to start unless you can find some one local off the forum ? 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

I'd say from the images that this tree definately necessitates an on site inspection in person by a suitably qualified arborist.

Thank you. What would the cost be to have someone in to look? And is there a particular site where you professionals are listed? 

11 hours ago, MattyF said:

The white splodges are lichens , there is some scaring probably from having things nailed to it , the fact it’s had a half enveloped hanger in the first pic shows the tree is healthy and vigorous to cope with wound wood…there would be nothing really there that would concern me from the photo , even the included union. That said I would still get it looked at professionally as even if you put a lot more pics up on here of things we would want to see like … right in the buttress roots and some of the overall crown, there is still some thing we could miss… get a professional arborist though not some door knocker , the arb association approved contractor list is a good place to start unless you can find some one local off the forum ? 

Approved contractor? Don't you mean registered consultant?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, alee said:

I've moved into a property with a very old, huge (3/4) storeys high copper beech.

It hasn't had any maintenance for years. It has a TPO. It doesn't look very healthy. I'm not sure of it is diseased. It has white splodges all over. The bark appears cracked and split. Round black mould? Areas. Also appears to have bled in areas. Is there anything I can do to prevent further damage?

A lot of what I am seeing is typical for beech. No-one on here can give you the information or asssurance you need, based on pictures and words. If you are concerned and feel you don't know enough about trees yourself to assess it, you are under an obligation at law to get someone who does to assess it for you. And to follow their recommendations. Plus because it is TPO'd you will probably not get consent for work to it without a professional report.

I would suggest you pay for advice from someone that doesn't stand to make money from unnecessary tree work. It will be cheaper in the long run. You can sue them if they get it wrong. You are paying to transfer the risk to them (and their insurers).

• Like 1