Cyprus tree options

ThePecha7

I’ve got 2 jobs I’ve got clients asking me to do. Both involve a row of mature leylandi Cyprus. One is right next to a main road and the trees include many co dominant leaders (some with historical snap outs)

The other job has a row right next to neighbouring property. Not as many co dominant leaders here but these have all the growth/weight on the neighbouring property side because there are other cedar growing behind them. 

I usually have a good idea what to advise but this has me sort of stumped. All I can think to advise is to take them out completely or to top them and set up a maintenance schedule. But I really don’t want to advise topping them. 

The trees next to road are mature and solid, they aren’t going to fall over any time soon. But the leaders will snap out at some point. I have thought about cabling but I’ve never done this before and don’t even know if it’s possible when you have some many leaders together (5+)

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Without wanting to sound arseholey, you must be quite new to the process.

These sound like 2 jobs that other firms have turned down because they are a nightmare.

Do the clients want to keep the screen of these hedges? 

If the answer is a firm yes then your problems are just beginning.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Without wanting to sound arseholey, you must be quite new to the process.

These sound like 2 jobs that other firms have turned down because they are a nightmare.

Do the clients want to keep the screen of these hedges? 

If the answer is a firm yes then your problems are just beginning.

Been doing tree work for 5 years but only for myself about a year. Like I said, I usually have no trouble at all giving customers options but this one is hard because they want to keep the trees but I don’t want to top them.

And they are not hedge leylandi, these are mature trees.

4 hours ago, rapalaman said:

Pictures will help. Whichever option they choose, estimate how many loads of chip/logs then add 50% on top.

even the most experienced of us get caught out on conifers and the amount of waste.

It’s chip on site so not worried about the amount 👍🏻

18 minutes ago, ThePecha7 said:

Been doing tree work for 5 years but only for myself about a year. Like I said, I usually have no trouble at all giving customers options but this one is hard because they want to keep the trees but I don’t want to top them.

And they are not hedge leylandi, these are mature trees.

Why don’t you want to top them?

It sounds like the customer wants you to shrink the trees back down to a hedge... I get this all the time. Unfortunately their options are limited and seeing as your not a wizard... its either cut in half, or fell. They're shit trees for a reason, and once they start shedding limbs they are rarely worth saving. 

• Like 1