What do you think?

arbaholic

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Im getting abit confused about this opertators license and tacho business. Peter if driving a transit 3.5 tonne in what case do you need an operators license and/or tachograph?

You dont need an operators licence for 3.5 tonne vehicles (inc transit)

You may qualify for an exemption from using a tachograph when towing, but be aware that the law says you must use one, it is your responsibility to work out whether an exemption applies to you or not.

Also, as I said earlier in the thread, even if you claim exemption from using a tacho, you are still required by law to keep records of drivers hours.

I have to confess that this whole Taco business starts to make me cross. I understand the need for regulations. It stops fools from watching the internet all night then driving a Landrover and trailer with load onto a railway line etc.......But why is it so rare to go to a motor dealers to talk to them about a truck and they totally ignore the Taco issue. I think I had 4 new Transits and one new Landrover over period of ten years (1990s) and not once was the Taco issue raised. Why do Jap 4x4 crewcabs not get fitted with them or have space for them? Who owns a 4x4 crewcab that tows a chipper, works over 30km from home who has a taco?

I worked out the other day that if I want to drive from North Leicestershire to topend of Lancashire to "cold call" people I could leave at 07:00 but I had to be home by 16:45. I usually like to keep days that are about 12 hours long because I want to, not because the Taco is ticking.......It gets right up my nose that regulations stop me from working.

I have to confess that this whole Taco business starts to make me cross. I understand the need for regulations. It stops fools from watching the internet all night then driving a Landrover and trailer with load onto a railway line etc.......But why is it so rare to go to a motor dealers to talk to them about a truck and they totally ignore the Taco issue. I think I had 4 new Transits and one new Landrover over period of ten years (1990s) and not once was the Taco issue raised. Why do Jap 4x4 crewcabs not get fitted with them or have space for them? Who owns a 4x4 crewcab that tows a chipper, works over 30km from home who has a taco?

I worked out the other day that if I want to drive from North Leicestershire to topend of Lancashire to "cold call" people I could leave at 07:00 but I had to be home by 16:45. I usually like to keep days that are about 12 hours long because I want to, not because the Taco is ticking.......It gets right up my nose that regulations stop me from working.

Unfortunately this stupid regulation would not have stopped him watching the internet all night. You could put a graph in drive 8 hrs then chuck it over you shoulder and put another in or swap vehicles. As i understand they dont need to be kept or sent off just in the tacho if you get pulled over ?

No but I do intend to use the stuff to make mulch or store and eventually split for firewood. Therefore I am transporting for my work and not for a direct reward. If I were to then transport the mulch or logs for reward i would need a tacho

I am going to have to rain on your parade here.

What you are doing is splitting hairs and many others before you have tried the same thing and come unstuck. The people that will take an interest in your activities have been doing this since Adam was young, they know the rules and have seen every scenario you can imagine and a few more as well

As a business,

If you get paid for the job you are in hire or reward.

If you get any sort of benefit you are in hire or reward.

The only way the situation you describe would be a defendable prospect is if you were a private punter collecting the gear for your own use.

I am going to have to rain on your parade here.

What you are doing is splitting hairs and many others before you have tried the same thing and come unstuck. The people that will take an interest in your activities have been doing this since Adam was young, they know the rules and have seen every scenario you can imagine and a few more as well

As a business,

If you get paid for the job you are in hire or reward.

If you get any sort of benefit you are in hire or reward.The only way the situation you describe would be a defendable prospect is if you were a private punter collecting the gear for your own use.

So why do farmers get away with red??

Unfortunately this stupid regulation would not have stopped him watching the internet all night. You could put a graph in drive 8 hrs then chuck it over you shoulder and put another in or swap vehicles. As i understand they dont need to be kept or sent off just in the tacho if you get pulled over ?

No.

You must have 28 days worth of drivers hours records with you in the vehicle for inspection by a police officer or VOSA official. Btw, I know somone who have been stopped in a 7.5 tonner and immobilised by the side of the road for 24 hours for failing to comply with this. He only had 20 day worth, and the regs had changed a few months before he was stopped.

Further to that, you or your employer if you are employed must keep the records safely for a further 12 months.