Lifespan of slings etc.

Cuttup

What lifespan are people getting out of dead eyes, whoopie/loopies/crane slings etc?

I've read that degradation is not a function of time i.e. just because something s older does not necessarily mean it s weakened. I have old ropes that are unbreakable, but for proper rigging/lowering I don't use them.

Is there specific LOLER guidance on lifespan (I can't seem to find any), or is it just at the discretion of the LOLER inspector.

As far as I know, Petzl, put fabric products at max 10 years and metal products without a specified service life depending on use/condition etc.

With regards to max lifespan it’s down to the manufacturer. Some say 5-10, others, like English Braids don’t give a a maximum lifespan. If it’s older than the max lifespan then that’s case closed really. 
If it’s within its manufacturer specified lifespan then wether or not it’s fit for purpose comes down to condition. A deadeye for example could last ten years if it’s getting used very irregularly, but it could last a day if it gets damaged. A loler thorough examination will take care of that though. 

• Thanks 1

Slings i would say should be inspected on a regular basis regardless of age, for what we do with them and how some get treated is a bit beyond belief at times,, i was once asked to get a bag of slings out of a van one day, slings where minging ,covered in white fluffy mould/fungus with the added stench, when getting the 2 slings out needed for the job personally i would not of used them, a odd nick n cut here n there along with outer canvas ripped, i have 2 bags of 3 tonne slings that came of a big utility job and the job spec by main contractor stated one lift only with the slings then in the skip,, madness,, but in reality its not when your lifting something thats 5 or 6k and a pair of slings is £40,slings are cheap really for what we do with em and i think should be replaced regularly especially if working with staff on the ground and swinging timber and in or around public places,,  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

your lifting something thats 5 or 6k and a pair of slings is £40

... and they avoid associated costs of storage, labelling, LOLER inspection, and the person to manage all that. I can see it makes sense in a way.

My dad used to work for Esso on projects in the refinery, they would dump all kinds of perfectly usable stuff at the end of a project rather than spend time cataloguing and storing. When he worked in the right area he used to take a trailer in, all our sheds were made from 18mm marine ply.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

... and they avoid associated costs of storage, labelling, LOLER inspection, and the person to manage all that. I can see it makes sense in a way.

My dad used to work for Esso on projects in the refinery, they would dump all kinds of perfectly usable stuff at the end of a project rather than spend time cataloguing and storing. When he worked in the right area he used to take a trailer in, all our sheds were made from 18mm marine ply.

Yes its madness really,, the guy who obtained the slings for me was a mobile fitter for the civil engineering co, but unfortunately now retired, i would get a phone call from him and he would say, there taking the compound down tomorrow on such a job and there is all the 4x2, 4x4 and about 100 8x4 sheets of ply all going in the skip if you want some lads will load you up just drop him £20 on the load all, its ridiculouse what the big Co,s just bin but its like you say skipping it will be cheaper,, 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, spuddog0507 said:

Yes its madness really,, the guy who obtained the slings for me was a mobile fitter for the civil engineering co, but unfortunately now retired, i would get a phone call from him and he would say, there taking the compound down tomorrow on such a job and there is all the 4x2, 4x4 and about 100 8x4 sheets of ply all going in the skip if you want some lads will load you up just drop him £20 on the load all, its ridiculouse what the big Co,s just bin but its like you say skipping it will be cheaper,, 

Job coming up near me where there are a couple of dozen Heras panels being abandoned

• Like 1

Bit far, I guess I'll stick to the hazel frames for now.

The timber frame company who built my house left a dozen slings behind, and another dozen sliced open that went in the bin. Not the fanciest slings, only 750kg, but they've been useful enough so far. Handy for moving all sorts around. 

• Like 1