Running a hgv

mowingjamie

Hi all, I've got my class 1, cpc and tacho card. I'd love some like a 12t hookloader to help with the building works. Sell my ifor 12ft tipper that I tow behind my sprinter. Only be moving my kit and materials around. But what realistically would a lorry of this size cost to keep on the road? I've got a large yard to park it in. Looking at ones with about 200km on 12to15k purchase cost, 2010 sort of age. 

On 05/03/2023 at 19:29, mowingjamie said:

Hi all, I've got my class 1, cpc and tacho card. I'd love some like a 12t hookloader to help with the building works. Sell my ifor 12ft tipper that I tow behind my sprinter. Only be moving my kit and materials around. But what realistically would a lorry of this size cost to keep on the road? I've got a large yard to park it in. Looking at ones with about 200km on 12to15k purchase cost, 2010 sort of age. 

Sounds like you can run on a restricted o license, you wont need a transport manager and you could probably get away with eight weekly PMI`s.They cost around £180 so other than the o license application you should be good to go, there is a bit of paper shuffling to do but nothing too time consuming..Its not the can of worms folk think it is and its a game changer.

Bob

37 minutes ago, AHPP said:

I'm vaguely aware of the existence of what people call "private HGV." I assume that's stuff like people using horse lorries for pleasure only. What are the requirements for that?

Its all the same really including drivers hours, any road vehicle should be kept/maintained in a roadworthy condition, all of them can be pulled over and checked over by dvsa at any time. Aside of an olicense the only difference between a privately run truck and one on an olicense is the maintenance regime./paper trail.Unfortunately most owners of privately run trucks only fix what a vehicle fails on come mot time, the truck run on an olicense should be able to meet test standards at any time.

Bob

17 minutes ago, aspenarb said:

Its all the same really including drivers hours, any road vehicle should be kept/maintained in a roadworthy condition, all of them can be pulled over and checked over by dvsa at any time. Aside of an olicense the only difference between a privately run truck and one on an olicense is the maintenance regime./paper trail.Unfortunately most owners of privately run trucks only fix what a vehicle fails on come mot time, the truck run on an olicense should be able to meet test standards at any time.

Bob

So private means no o-license, one MOT a year (and no eight weeklies or whatever) and no stuff like CPC?

18 minutes ago, AHPP said:

So private means no o-license, one MOT a year (and no eight weeklies or whatever) and no stuff like CPC?

Pretty much. CPC isnt an issue anyway.

Exemptions from needing Driver CPC

You do not need Driver CPC if you’re using the vehicle for:

• non-commercial carriage of passengers or goods
  • carrying material or equipment you use for your job, as long as driving is less than 30% of your rolling monthly work
  • driving for someone you work for, or your own agriculture, horticulture, forestry, farming or fisheries business, as long as driving is less than 30% of your rolling monthly work
  • driving within 62 miles (100 kilometres) of your base - but the vehicle cannot be carrying passengers or goods, and driving a lorry, bus or coach cannot be your main job
  • driving to or from pre-booked appointments at official vehicle testing centres
  • driving lessons for anyone who wants to get a driving licence or a Driver CPC
  • maintaining public order - and the vehicle is being used or controlled by a local authority
  • rescue missions or in states of emergency

You also do not need Driver CPC if the vehicle is:

• is being road tested for repair, maintenance or technical development purposes
  • either new or rebuilt and has not yet been taxed
  • being used or controlled by the armed forces, police, fire and rescue service, emergency ambulance service, prison service or people running a prison or young offender institution
  • limited to a top speed of 28mph
Edited by aspenarb
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

Cue Alex dressed in tweed shifting his kit around in a horse box….

You joke but I wear tweed quite often in the van. Nothing funnier when you get out at a scrapyard. Kept a Harrods catalogue in the dash litter in the Transit.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, aspenarb said:

Pretty much. CPC isnt an issue anyway.

Exemptions from needing Driver CPC

You do not need Driver CPC if you’re using the vehicle for:

• non-commercial carriage of passengers or goods
  • carrying material or equipment you use for your job, as long as driving is less than 30% of your rolling monthly work
  • driving for someone you work for, or your own agriculture, horticulture, forestry, farming or fisheries business, as long as driving is less than 30% of your rolling monthly work
  • driving within 62 miles (100 kilometres) of your base - but the vehicle cannot be carrying passengers or goods, and driving a lorry, bus or coach cannot be your main job
  • driving to or from pre-booked appointments at official vehicle testing centres
  • driving lessons for anyone who wants to get a driving licence or a Driver CPC
  • maintaining public order - and the vehicle is being used or controlled by a local authority
  • rescue missions or in states of emergency

You also do not need Driver CPC if the vehicle is:

• is being road tested for repair, maintenance or technical development purposes
  • either new or rebuilt and has not yet been taxed
  • being used or controlled by the armed forces, police, fire and rescue service, emergency ambulance service, prison service or people running a prison or young offender institution
  • limited to a top speed of 28mph

The plan has been a rigid lorry that can carry 20' containers (each containing different facets of my life, living quarters, heat and power generation, music studio, workshop etc), equipped with a crane for swapping them. Like a gypsy but no horses.

Is it just a matter of buy any lorry, MOT it, tax it (Private HGV Tax Class 10 a .gov .pdf tells me), insure it and off I go or do I need to have certain things on the V5 etc?

• Like 1