Facebook advertising

Mark Bolam

I’m on Facebook, but often wish I wasn’t.

For me, it’s a great tool to keep in touch with mates back in Northumberland, uni mates, and friends and family abroad.

I don’t consider it a proper business tool, so while my company has a presence, I don’t promote it.

It has led to about 4 decent jobs in the last two years.

Most enquiries are ‘Small apple tree to take down, £30 cash waiting’ etc.

Must be a fully qualified, insured and cheap tree surgeon.

They are invariably followed with 40 recommendations for ‘S&K waste clearance’ or ‘Adams Plumbing Services’ and shit like that.

Not the kind of work I want, it doesn’t bother me.

What does piss me off is the increasing amount of pro companies popping up on my feed.

‘We welcome your query for a fast, efficient service’.

York. Humberside. Macclesfield. Nottingham. Rayleigh. Penzance.

I’m in Kent ffs, why are you splattering your desperate shite all over FB?

You’re obviously paying for this blanket saturation, could your money not be better spent on more targeted, local marketing?

A lad who started working with us last year who showed a fair bit of promise has decided FB is the Holy Grail, and set up his own company. Said he could sub us in at top dollar.

It’s cringeworthy to say the least.

2 months in - ‘But it’s not fair on me pricing, because you’ve got all the trucks, chippers, loaders and stumpgrinders.’

Imagine that!

He got arsesy when I pointed out that I knew the difference between a birch and a eucalyptus before I set up my own ‘tree care company’.

It seems to be a modern phenomenon, and not a good one.

• Like 9

There’s a lot of money being spunked on Facebook ads by tree companies. Most likely boosting their own posts with no real idea what they are doing and subsequently targeting the entire uk for leylandii hedge cutting.

that being said it is quite hard. I’ve had some very specific targeting set on some of my adverts before and still get some incredibly random activity.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

OK haven't posted here in like 10 years, wanted to check up people's views and advice on Facebook advertising. 

First off I restarted business after 4 years out this may. Tried Facebook advertising at 100 per month so 3 quid a day. Got between 2 to 5 leads per day every day for like 25 days, had an amazing may and thought I'd hit the jackpot. 

After my ad ended I started two new adverts from start of June, up add revenue up to 200 per month, and have got next to nothing out of them. It can't all be down to the superhot weather we're having. I'm specifically targeting grass cutting but can do 90 percent of garden work. 

Has anyone got any tips on this? What demographics or interests are people targeting when they set the add up? Also I've an ex friend whose fb page just literally appears at the top of Google listing despite not having a website or to my mind paying anything to Google, how the hell is he doing it? 

I’m not on Facebook but do get a few recommendations on our local community group - no help though till you get a reputation first. Have you tried the Next Door app? You can put your details on there and once a few jobs come your way, customers tend to recommend to others requesting similar types of work. 
just a thought- I’m sure others will be along with good ideas as well 👍

1 hour ago, ATC1983 said:

Also I've an ex friend whose fb page just literally appears at the top of Google listing despite not having a website or to my mind paying anything to Google, how the hell is he doing it? 

For what search term? If the search term is his business name and theres no other businesses with the same name then his Facebook page is naturally going to be at the top of google, which means very little in this instance. Hes never going to appear top of google with a facebook page for more generic search queries.

Location plus grass cutting. I've seen him lift 600 in a day, he won't need another search term. 

Plus there's loads of companies including myself have practically the same name. I don't appear on Google. Also add words yell checkatrade appear in the first 3 or 4 before him, but his is always first with clear photograph and well presented. The first 3 or 4 are grouped in a Google box where his stands out

Location plus grass cutting. I've seen him lift 600 in a day, he won't need another search term. 

Plus there's loads of companies including myself have practically the same name. I don't appear on Google. Also add words yell checkatrade appear in the first 3 or 4 before him, but his is always first with clear photograph and well presented. The first 3 or 4 are grouped in a Google box where his stands out

In fact literally redone search, his Facebook link is above all the Google links for 0 spent