Help With a New Chainsaw

PC_Cambs

First post and would love some help picking a new saw.

Finally junked my old Husky 135 today after a terminal fall onto a patio. I'm after an upgrade to the 135, budget up to £450 but would like to spend less if I can. Not a pro user but do cut up a fair amount of firewood each winter, have a reasonable amount of shrubs and trees to maintain in the garden and have previously helped out the odd friend / family member with dropping small trees or clearings shrubs etc. 

few saws I've been considering that I've found in budget.

Stihl 211

Stihl 231

Husqvarna 435

Husqvarna 440mk2

I did look at one of the 36v (twin 18v batteries) Makitas as most my power tools are on their 18v platform so I have a few batteries but from what I can understand these saws eat batteries incredibly quickly so decided against that.

I have a Stihl dealer just down the road from me in South Cambs but nearest Husqvarna dealer is Ernest Doe and not sure closet branch has full range in plus they are £££. Can of course order on line but like a bricks and mortar I can walk back into if there is a drama. 

any help, advice or alternate suggestions welcome.

Does are robbers and Stihl are better anyway. I think the 231, 241 and 251 hit a very sweet spot in the toss up between displacement/power and weight. The 211 is a noteworthy step down.

How much firewood do you do? Tonnage or volume per year and usual diameters.

Edited by AHPP

Depends if you're west or east, if it's west then maybe Stuart Brown arborist supplies which are just across in Beds and do Stihl.

I think £450 should get you something decent, not quite enough to get a pro saw. I would suggest to have a serious look at whether that is going to leave you wanting to upgrade later in a way that you won't if you buy a 261.

6 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

Depends if you're west or east, if it's west then maybe Stuart Brown arborist supplies which are just across in Beds and do Stihl.

I think £450 should get you something decent, not quite enough to get a pro saw. I would suggest to have a serious look at whether that is going to leave you wanting to upgrade later in a way that you won't if you buy a 261.

I'm South cambs on Herts border so Stuart Brown is about 45min away but Wrights Mower Center is 5-10 up the road and are a Stihl dealer although not sure what current prices are as their website is not for online sales. easy phone call or trip over tomorrow lunch time.

I don't think I'll need to upgrade as the little Husky 135 was fine for most the garden work but just struggled a bit on firewood sometimes. Thinking about future use we are looking at moving further out and getting a house with land attached but there is a lot of very very big ifs about that thanks to interest rates!

4 minutes ago, gand said:

Have you thought about looking at Echo?

Don't know anything at all about them so no idea what to look for. 

31 minutes ago, AHPP said:

Does are robbers and Stihl are better anyway. I think the 231, 241 and 251 hit a very sweet spot in the toss up between displacement/power and weight. The 211 is a noteworthy step down.

How much firewood do you do? Tonnage or volume per year and usual diameters.

Not loads to be honest, we usually get 3-4 bulk bags a year that's pre cut but have had to cut chunks up from time to time, most of what needs properly processing is deadfall I scavenge. That said I'm looking to try and reduce price of wood so seeing if any of the yards I but from are happy to sell un process trunks for a cheaper price than the bulk bags so if that's possible figure 4 bulk bags worth a year.

Any of those saws will be perfectly adequate for scavenging fallen deadwood etc. Obviously you're asking on a pro forum though so the standard answer is going to be buy the best you can afford.

If you are after wood and have room to accept a truck load at a time you can also chance your arm by adding your property as a tip site for tree surgeons to use. 

https://arbtalk.co.uk/recycling/

5 minutes ago, PC_Cambs said:

Not loads to be honest, we usually get 3-4 bulk bags a year that's pre cut but have had to cut chunks up from time to time, most of what needs properly processing is deadfall I scavenge. That said I'm looking to try and reduce price of wood so seeing if any of the yards I but from are happy to sell un process trunks for a cheaper price than the bulk bags so if that's possible figure 4 bulk bags worth a year.

Go battery. They're better than you think.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

Any of those saws will be perfectly adequate for scavenging fallen deadwood etc. Obviously you're asking on a pro forum though so the standard answer is going to be buy the best you can afford.

If you are after wood and have room to accept a truck load at a time you can also chance your arm by adding your property as a tip site for tree surgeons to use. 

https://arbtalk.co.uk/recycling/

amazing Tip! thanks for this.

• Like 1