How much to pay an employee

Hodge

£60 a day!! Full time? No way.

Does he live at home and need picking up every day or is he a bit more advanced than that? I would pay more for someone whos moved out of home cos they have greater commitments to meet and it suggests greater responsibility.

As an employer you don't need to provide PPE, BUT you have to ensure he has it and uses it!!! Now if that means you buy it or he does, thats up to you. Its proabably best you buy it if he's on minimum wage.

And throw is mobile phone in the chipper if he makes/recieves a single text message except for at break times. Get it over with, he won't do it again!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah good idea parker, coz them pants and boots aint cheap, i am getting him to understand to respect stuff. im gonna get it in the contract of employment that if he brakes owt he must pay for it type thing??

Im fairly sure as an employer you are legally bound by the managing of health and safety at works act to replace any broken or unsafe PPE and equiment.

But hey tell him that and he will probaly believe you. My boss said that to me when i was younger and i still look after my kit well today. :thumbup:

This is from the HSE:

Do employers have to provide personal protective equipment (PPE)?

The relevant regulations are the Personal Protective Equipment at Work Regulations 1992.

Regulation 4 states:

Every employer shall ensure that suitable personal protective equipment is provided to his employees who may be exposed to a risk to their health or safety while at work except where and to the extent that such risk has been adequately controlled by other means which are equally or more effective.

The accompanying guidance states:

Employers should, therefore, provide appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) and training in its usage to their employees wherever there is a risk to health and safety that cannot be adequately controlled by other means.

In order to provide PPE for their employees, employers must do more than simply have the equipment on the premises. The employees must have the equipment readily available, or at the very least have clear instructions on where they can obtain it.

By virtue of Section 9 of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974, no charge can be made to the worker for the provision of PPE which is used only at work. Section 9 of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 states: "No employer shall levy or permit to be levied on any employee of his any charge in respect of anything done or provided in pursuance of any specific requirement of the relevant statutory provisions". Section 9 applies to these Regulations because they impose a 'specific requirement' - i.e. to provide PPE.