Monkey puzzle - nasty reaction

biggimmer

I did a long dead one in 2011, cut and drop.

The wood immediately under the bark was mush and my spikes couldn't get a hold so I improvised and took a small axe up with me to cut away the bark and mush so my spikes could grip solid wood.

It was one of the few trees I left pegs on for pure relief.

It felt solid enough climbing but when I felled the stem it shattered like glass revealing an amazing spalling effect throughout the trunk.

Then back in November I had my second D'espoir des singes' 

This one was in rude health with a very dense crown.

I totally underestimated the volume of chip, two truck loads 7m3 in the end.

Luckily the farm was only 5km away.

2 disgusted arb students and I dragging, Mr Meth climbing.

The students had arm gauntlets ss did the climber, me no.

My forearms were a state, bloody like bizzare Christian stigmatas they prickly itched all night.

It was on this job I slipped whilst dragging a branch and fell against the wall of the house putting a couple of holes in the exterior polystyrene insulation.

Exterior insulation is now on my list of risks...

• Sad 1

Well I'm glad to hear its not just me being a wuss!! the main puncture on my hand has finally gone down and is ok now but it was a real bas%$£d for a few days there....

As someone above mentioned the worst spot was just on my wrist, tight skin, bone and a vein just under that seemed to get a stabbing....

Got a few rounds to see how it burnt....to add to its lack of appeal it is also a bas$£"d to split, first few hits with my axe just bounced off! I had to give it full beans and the coin was only 5" thick....not many conifers can resist axe hits like that....

• Haha 1

I've enjoyed this thread, I thought it was me being a wuss when the wife asked me to move a seven foot tree,  decided that I would rather remove and refit a barbed wire fence. Thick leather jackets and gloves help but you still get spiked. I can see why people use them as a fence to stop people getting on to the property. By the replies in the above thread it makes a mess of your clothes and the saws, but what is it like as a timber,  to mill or work with, I've never talked to anyone that has used it, so I though that maybe someone on here is either brave(or daft) enough to have tried(one volunteer being worth hundred pressed men😁 as they say)