Long length premium

trigger_andy

9 minutes ago, Mrblue5000 said:

Not an expert here, but could you cut them over size then plane them down straight to 6’’ x 6’’ after seasoning them? I did that with beech flooring and the floor is still level. 

I think the issue is they could bend like a banana. You'd end up with a 2 foot stump if you tried to plane that out. 

• Like 1

would have thought that in general the longer the beam the larger the cross section should be which would reduce movement a bit.

Obviously depends on intended use - span, load etc. If you get it in position while still green and join it properly, there will be limited movement and that what does occur is superficial just adds character ?

4 hours ago, teepeeat said:

would have thought that in general the longer the beam the larger the cross section should be which would reduce movement a bit.

Obviously depends on intended use - span, load etc. If you get it in position while still green and join it properly, there will be limited movement and that what does occur is superficial just adds character ?

Yes indeed.  

The problem comes when the customer wants a long unsupported span.  If I were cutting a 4 metre or longer beam for a customer I would ask them first if it needs to be straight.  If it is to be fixed in multiple places to other beams or used as a sole plate etc it will be fine.

8 hours ago, Squaredy said:

Yes indeed.  

The problem comes when the customer wants a long unsupported span.  If I were cutting a 4 metre or longer beam for a customer I would ask them first if it needs to be straight.  If it is to be fixed in multiple places to other beams or used as a sole plate etc it will be fine.

I'll certainly keep that advice in mind for the future. The guys not replied so I guess he's no longer interested. 

My Plan was to mill  6-9 beams at the same time since I would be milling the log/s the same day and let him take his pick. The remaining ones (if bowed) would go to the bottom of a stack and be left to dry and hopefully straighten as they do so with some weight on top. If they did not then Id cut them down for other projects. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, teepeeat said:

My limited experience of oak framing while working as a structural engineering designer, was the timbers were sourced and milled to order. Also, working green oak, cutting joints, etc. is so much easier than once it’s dry.
But my work with oak framing was 15+ years ago, on medium and large sized projects and I dare say there is a lot more use nowadays on small projects, perhaps even just single timbers for lintels and visible beams to create a ‘feature’? So maybe there is a need for readily available stock sizes?

A sawmiller who used to mill logs for me had experience of milling locally sourced logs for framing timbers to be used locally. I remember him talking about the timber grader being able to decide from looking at a log, which way the milled timbers would be inclined to bend. So, for a rectangular beam, the log could be turned so it would bend in the direction of the long side on the rectangle and the framer could turn it to bend upwards for instance, and reduce deflection in a beam due to the weight on it.

Andrew

Edited by ucoulddoit
  • Like 2