Plywood floor

peds

3 hours ago, Stere said:

All the worktops in the science block in my old school were mahogany shame they all got ripped out and skipped  to be replaced with formica.

That's really interesting you said that, the old school for around 1500 kids I went to back in England is currently being replaced by a new build megaschool on the edge of town, there's whole buildings worth of science blocks with heavy desks and big sinks going to be demolished at some point in the future. Definitely worth keeping an eye on. 

3 hours ago, openspaceman said:

I got a few boot loads of exotic hardwood parquet flooring when the parish hall flooded, the tar they had been glued with certainly went up well as fire starters.

I'll be making a good few diagonal offcuts to get the herringbone pattern, but my fireplace ash all gets rotated through the compost system for the garden. So no tar allowed, unfortunately. 

Might use the offcuts to make a mini parquet floor in the dog's kennel, I don't know. 

On 06/01/2023 at 21:24, peds said:

Could probably spring for thicker than 6mm, but that's good to know.

We wouldn't be thinking of it for the ground floor because of all the heavy traffic, but we might get away with it upstairs. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. 

I quite like the OSB look anyway, but my wife says we can't keep it. 

20230104_163233.thumb.jpg.6b11b7d639f5c9df4bbe4c3fa5ec9e69.jpg

if your spending that much on a house from scatch, then id keep the osb, let it dry and move a bit then do it room by room with laminate or somthing  you like as you get the funds.

i would of thought pallets would be a nightmare to fit and prepare etc.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 07/01/2023 at 13:16, peds said:

That's really interesting you said that, the old school for around 1500 kids I went to back in England is currently being replaced by a new build megaschool on the edge of town, there's whole buildings worth of science blocks with heavy desks and big sinks going to be demolished at some point in the future. Definitely worth keeping an eye on. 

and the sports hall.... our school had 2, 1 with a wooden floor (for the exams, so it creaked nicely as the teachers walked up and down).

Pallet wood - a pain to do. De-nailing is OK, and I have seen lever things to take them apart, but the sanding to get any kind of finish to them. I'd also be tempted to pressure hose them clean - all sorts of stuff on them (the nicest would be gunk from the roads as they are driven about), and also treat them for woodworm and so on - you never know. Without the work they will always look like pallets.

• 2 weeks later...