Tractor and chipper rates

Tom M

8 minutes ago, doobin said:

Nice tractor, but I can’t see folks wanting to pay you hourly for that rig in a production scenario, you need a tractor at the top of the input hp range for the chipper if your focus is biomass etc. 

For site work it could be a handy rig, nimble enough to sneak in. 

Not for biomass production,was thinking for site work,brash like you say,start small work up 😂 unless I win lottery then I’ll buy a 300hp+ tractor and big chipper 🤣🤣

That was the cheapest used on fuelwood yesterday and that wasn't with a crane.

Either way it's a lot of money without knowing you have a reliable market to pay for it, I'd probably be more tempted with a tractor like that to do some contracting.

Decent flail for around 10k, £40+ an hour in a warm cab.

Edited by GarethM

16 minutes ago, gdh said:

That's with a crane I assume? Decent used one of ours should be 30-40. Less for 12inch.

Seem to be between 50 and 80.for what is available at the moment. Biomass boom and supply I'm betting supply issues.

Expect another 20 to 30 depending on the crane now.

I had a Farmi 260 with infeed conveyor and no crane, it was purchased for niche work and did me very well, excellent build quality, easy to work on and never had any parts apart from one bearing I put the wrong grease into by mistake.

It would produce an excellent biomass quality chip, being fitted with twig breakers too, and this is really what they’re intended for, chipping smaller roundwood for fuel, and are seriously rapid at it if setup correctly and don’t need much hp to do it.

The downside was anything remotely brash would want to wrap around the feed rollers, and as long as the operator was familiar with reversing the rollers regularly it became very little of an issue.

Had it on tractors from 70 to 250hp and in reality the 125hp Valtra N111 ran it best.

More hp was good, but twisted pto lemon tube isn’t!🤦‍♂️

For the intended Massey quoted here, as previously stated, it’ll run the chipper ok, you can even put them on 540 speed if required, but it’ll be too large cumbersome for the actual tractor size, and be a proper tail wagging the dog setup.

Don’t let me put you off though, others have quoted a “niche” and there is a place for such setups.

I know of two who have put some thought into it and it seems to work well for them.

Basically reverse drive Valtra with TP Chipper and 3 point linkage crane.

Same crane drops straight onto the bolster trailer for any forwarding duties and a nice Tajfun winch on the front for good measure.

Same tractor is back on all sorts of summer duties in standard form when required.

It goes without saying the Heizohack is a fantastic tool and in site clearance has an incredible ability to manage to finish the shift with blades that shouldn’t be able to!

They are literally everywhere and I could get hold of big twin axle units with crane, large hp tractor and highly experienced operators for the rates already quoted here and obviously fuel colour is the main issue for these guys.

2CDC7C77-DC42-4078-B1AC-928462DD1808.thumb.jpeg.20a93ccfb2f0ce99eb40ca57d096e09c.jpeg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LGP Eddie said:

and obviously fuel colour is the main issue for these guys.

It's probably another thread in itself, but if you were chipping for biomass, especially not in the woodland where the trees grew, it would be hard to call it forestry, and should be white diesel?

7 minutes ago, scbk said:

It's probably another thread in itself, but if you were chipping for biomass, especially not in the woodland where the trees grew, it would be hard to call it forestry, and should be white diesel?

Leave me out of that one, pistols at dawn stuff!

I’m all white now on the machines, and the Mrs has never had so many Tesco points!😂

• Haha 1