Tractor and chipper rates

Tom M

1 minute ago, GarethM said:

I'd probably guess around 130-150 an hour as you'll have to factor in repairs and maintenance of tractor and chipper.

Do you have the tractor already tho as a chipper is going to be around 50k probably even for a used and abused one. Not sure what fuelwood has in at the moment.

Yes already own the tractor and was looking at a farmi one,don’t know if there any good or not 

What sort of size chipper are you thinking? Dedicated mechanical feed chipper Ie crane feed only or a machine you can hand feed too?

Do you intend to mount the crane on the chipper or to the tractor. Big difference in cost between the two

I'd imagine you would be looking for 150 quid an hour.

On the estate where I use to work we had a 12" bandit on the back of a 100hp tractor. Even if we had Jake mounted a crane and weighted the front there is no way I'd if wanted to take it far from the yard as it would not have handled well on the road.  What tractor are you thinking of using? 

5 minutes ago, GarethM said:

Is it for biomass, as you'll need one with a screen, what used to be G30 or 50. But I think they might have reset the sizes.

The heizo ones are well known as well.

Mainly for like brash,but will look at the Heizo ones too 

5 minutes ago, Brushcutter said:

What sort of size chipper are you thinking? Dedicated mechanical feed chipper Ie crane feed only or a machine you can hand feed too?

Do you intend to mount the crane on the chipper or to the tractor. Big difference in cost between the two

I'd imagine you would be looking for 150 quid an hour.

On the estate where I use to work we had a 12" bandit on the back of a 100hp tractor. Even if we had Jake mounted a crane and weighted the front there is no way I'd if wanted to take it far from the yard as it would not have handled well on the road.  What tractor are you thinking of using? 

A farmi 260 and yes crane fed and crane/chipper on 3 pt linkage,not sure on the weight of it tho but tractor has got front linkage and a big weight block with it 

Think 120 might be a bit small, my 90 bogs down on a tp150 at times and that's all handball feeding not via a crane.

I'm not saying all my horses are still under the hood at close to 10k hours but most of them must be still in the corral.

The heizo use a gearbox arrangement tho, the farmi will be direct drive like the TP.

Edited by GarethM

Nice tractor, but I can’t see folks wanting to pay you hourly for that rig in a production scenario, you need a tractor at the top of the input hp range for the chipper if your focus is biomass etc. 

For site work it could be a handy rig, nimble enough to sneak in. 

Edited by doobin
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, doobin said:

Nice tractor, but I can’t see folks wanting to pay you hourly for that rig in a production scenario, you need a tractor at the top of the input hp range for the chipper if your focus is biomass etc. 

For site work it could be a handy rig, nimble enough to sneak in. 

Fraid that's what I'm thinking.... 

Need the right niche for it