Battery Chainsaw?

petercb

Considering a new chainsaw and as getting older and shoulder plays up a bit thought about battery chainsaw. Needs to be capable of taking down mainly softwood plus some hardwood. My go to saw is my 450e with a 16" bar on it. It starts pretty well thanks to decompressor but as I say shoulder is not the best.

Needs to be able to cope with woodland management but not going to be using it all day every day. Thinking along the lines of 540i XP or msa300 although wincing at cost. Looking online though availability doesn't look good and some have bare unit but no batteries or charger.

Anybody using either regularly? How do you find them? Alternatives?

I have a 36v einhell which I keep in the pickup for emergency use or occasional delimbing which is great but too small for the larger stuff.

I have been pleasantly surprised by my MSA220, but the 300 was not available when I bought it. No experience of the Husky myself. I have felled 12 inch diameter Ash with the 220 when we had to keep noise levels down, but would not want this to be my usual saw for this size of trunk. Would buy the 300, and wince at the cost!

• Thanks 1

I'm in same age group so understand your dilemma. Clue to Stihl MSA300 intended use is in their own description as designed for demanding professional use. So is well made, but heavier than your Husqvarna 450e when battery in place. Also needs several batteries if cutting more than 20mins at 50cc saw power output.

3 years ago when my 42cc saw died I got a MSA 200 (best available at that time) to partner a 60cc MS341. I've been pleasantly surprised at what it can cut, more torque than small petrol saws, suggest that you try a MSA 220.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HillyJohn said:

I'm in same age group so understand your dilemma. Clue to Stihl MSA300 intended use is in their own description as designed for demanding professional use. So is well made, but heavier than your Husqvarna 450e when battery in place. Also needs several batteries if cutting more than 20mins at 50cc saw power output.

3 years ago when my 42cc saw died I got a MSA 200 (best available at that time) to partner a 60cc MS341. I've been pleasantly surprised at what it can cut, more torque than small petrol saws, suggest that you try a MSA 220.

Looks as if it could be a good option.

5 minutes ago, pleasant said:

If you are in the woods with no power to charge then you will need two or three batteries OR a genny to re charge while you have some lunch.  A genny defeats the object of trying to be 'green' and if you stick a genny onboard then you might as well stay with a petrol saw

While it's not really about being green our woodland management is all about restoration and increasing biodiversity so it is a factor. Only problem is what is truly 'green' these days?

1 hour ago, petercb said:

While it's not really about being green our woodland management is all about restoration and increasing biodiversity so it is a factor. Only problem is what is truly 'green' these days?

My thoughts on battery power being 'green' and a 'better' alternative to what we currently have are well documented on here.

Hi, I bought a Stihl battery saw a few years ago and really like it and it's had fairly heavy use and has become my main firewood / maintenance  saw, having said that I'm not a pro user.

I originally bought the msa 200 with the micro picco 1/4" bar and chain which I really didn't like, luckily I was able to convert it to 3/8" full chiz quite cheaply.

... so fwiw I can recommend the msa 220 with the AP300 or 500 battery although as you say the price has recently become rather eye watering.

cheers.

• Thanks 1