Rigging kit recommendations

Cactusjack1993

Hi all. 

looking to buy rigging kit as I’ve just recently got my ticket. I’m looking for a decent set up which can take medium/large loads and will last a while. So far I was thinking of getting: 

DMM 200kN Impact block pulley

Gleistein HeavyGreen 16mm

English braid multi-sling (16mm x

5m)
Stein RC2000 capstan

I’m a bit confused on the size of capstan sling. It’s working rigging rope is 16mm so would this be the same for the sling? Also will be buying a redirect, rigging carabiners and sling on top of that I just didn’t add it in. Thanks 

If you need to ask these questions, you’re ill-experienced to be undertaking rigging options without anyone mentoring you. I’d suggest working with someone who can show you the ropes, as it were, before spunking your cash on rigging kit. 

That’s not a setup I’d buy for my first, do-it-all rigging kit anyway, hopefully you won’t be needing a 16mm lowering rope often. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

If you need to ask these questions, you’re ill-experienced to be undertaking rigging options without anyone mentoring you. I’d suggest working with someone who can show you the ropes, as it were, before spunking your cash on rigging kit. 

That’s not a setup I’d buy for my first, do-it-all rigging kit anyway, hopefully you won’t be needing a 16mm lowering rope often. 

What you on about ill-experienced? I’m here asking questions to learn and your giving me an off topic response. 

2 hours ago, Cactusjack1993 said:

Hi all. 

looking to buy rigging kit as I’ve just recently got my ticket. I’m looking for a decent set up which can take medium/large loads and will last a while. So far I was thinking of getting: 

5m)
Stein RC2000 capstan

I’m a bit confused on the size of capstan sling. It’s working rigging rope is 16mm so would this be the same for the sling? Also will be buying a redirect, rigging carabiners and sling on top of that I just didn’t add it in. Thanks 

I’m a big fan of the English braids 16mm lowering line… I would up your pulley sling to 22mm … I’ve not managed to break the 16mm EB line yet rigging but I’m pretty sure I would snap a 16 multi sling on that set up. 
If funds allow get the rc2001 bollard but the 2000 is not bad and beats a regular capstan.

If your only rigging light go for a 10mm line , 14mm and lighter pulley and a capstan. 

medium rigging a 14mm line , 16mm for the pulley and stick with the 2000. 

If funds allow get a safe block or a safe block and a capstan for bigger stuff and bin the dmm pulley and RC2000… either way a safe bloc is nice on dodge trees as your not doubling the forces on rigging points as you would with a pulley.. I often use it for the sketchy half dead stuff then put a capstan on for rigging out big timber once it gets too much for the safe block alone. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MattyF said:

I’m a big fan of the English braids 16mm lowering line… I would up your pulley sling to 22mm … I’ve not managed to break the 16mm EB line yet rigging but I’m pretty sure I would snap a 16 multi sling on that set up. 
If funds allow get the rc2001 bollard but the 2000 is not bad and beats a regular capstan.

If your only rigging light go for a 10mm line , 14mm and lighter pulley and a capstan. 

medium rigging a 14mm line , 16mm for the pulley and stick with the 2000. 

If funds allow get a safe block or a safe block and a capstan for bigger stuff and bin the dmm pulley and RC2000… either way a safe bloc is nice on dodge trees as your not doubling the forces on rigging points as you would with a pulley.. I often use it for the sketchy half dead stuff then put a capstan on for rigging out big timber once it gets too much for the safe block alone. 

Brilliant great info thanks matt 👍

29 minutes ago, Cactusjack1993 said:

Brilliant great info thanks matt 👍

No worries … in my past experiences usually the rigging sling will be the one to go first if not up to the job.. just looking at current rigging kit you’re spoilt for choice on pulleys!! but you can’t go wrong with the dmm impact blocks , I’ve never found the need to use more than the small as it’s as strong as the large ISC blocks although there new 200 range looks like it would give the dmm a run for its money on the specs… also see dmm have an ultra small now too… could be handy from the bending the large pintos that get dragged in to service. 
never used the gliestein ropes though as I’ve always just stick with EB for years as I’ve found them pretty indestructible but don’t spend the money if your going to use them for natural crotch rigging! 

10 minutes ago, MattyF said:

No worries … in my past experiences usually the rigging sling will be the one to go first if not up to the job.. just looking at current rigging kit you’re spoilt for choice on pulleys!! but you can’t go wrong with the dmm impact blocks , I’ve never found the need to use more than the small as it’s as strong as the large ISC blocks although there new 200 range looks like it would give the dmm a run for its money on the specs… also see dmm have an ultra small now too… could be handy from the bending the large pintos that get dragged in to service. 
never used the gliestein ropes though as I’ve always just stick with EB for years as I’ve found them pretty indestructible but don’t spend the money if your going to use them for natural crotch rigging! 

Yeah good point about the crotch rigging. I think I will invest in a decent re-direct too. Thanks again, much appreciated 

3 hours ago, Cactusjack1993 said:

Hi all. 

5m)
Stein RC2000 capstan

The RC2000 uses a 24 mm sling and you will also need the webbing strap device thingy to hold it upright..

john..

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Cactusjack1993 said:

Thanks John 

Google "Stein 3 rigging kit" I have one and think  the RC2000 is really great, The pulley that comes with the set is a bit huge, so i have a smaller one too. The slings and rope are all lovely though!!

Here you go!!

WWW.STEINWORLDWIDE.COM

Rigging Set S3 - RC2000 Version This Rigging Bag contains the minimum components to assemble a configured rigging system. Due to the mass...

john..

Edited by john87
  • Thanks 1