Ambulance strike

Kimosabi

11 minutes ago, nath said:

No one signed up for inflation, that’s an irrelevant argument, we are all faced with the same thing.

as for enticing new staff, well perhaps if nurses stopped whinging so much young ones might be more tempted to take on the career 

As Ive pointed out being self employed allows you to quote according to todays market. For example, Ive had someone in for three days removing stumps from my garden. Due to increased costs and inflation I had to pay considerably more than I would have one or two years ago. Those in the public sector obviously don have the option to bill accordingly can they? Their course of action is to negotiate through the union and hope for a desirable outcome. Generally this is only allowed once a year. If that falls through then the last resort is to strike. 

The Nurses have a lot to whinge about though. Im not sure they wish to trick others into their chosen profession by pretending its all rosey, the newbies would soon see it for what it is and leave again anyway. Real change is needed. 

Edited by trigger_andy
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

When you say deal with it you generally mean you adjust your prices to suit. You may say that you personally dont but Ive read many a post on here discussing price increases due to inflation and the cost of energy today. The customer can either accept the increase in quote or not, you just choose the jobs that are willing to pay. And clearly they are willing to pay since you clearly earn enough in just over a days work to equate to what a Nurse earns in a week. Now as Im sure you're aware a Nurse cannot just increase his/her wages can they? There is a process to follow and when that process does not end with a satisfactory agreement whats left is strike action. 

You couldn't be more wrong, I've deliberately kept prices the same to make sure that the work keeps coming in 

12 minutes ago, nath said:

No one signed up for inflation, that’s an irrelevant argument, we are all faced with the same thing.

as for enticing new staff, well perhaps if nurses stopped whinging so much young ones might be more tempted to take on the career 

And what does everyone else do? Put their prices up accordingly.  This is all the nurses and paramedics are trying to do through negotiations via their representative bodies, which have failed due to one side refusing to negotiate 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Kimosabi said:

You couldn't be more wrong, I've deliberately kept prices the same to make sure that the work keeps coming in 

Like I said in my post, I knew you'd say that so pre-empted it. ;)

The fact of the matter is many here and many other self employed people have increased their prices due to cost increase and inflation. Ive witnessed it personally twice this week alone, one through a large company and one through a self employed forester. They are private companies increasing what they charge for a service due to market demands and cost increases on the fly. Nurses do not have this ability and rely on the unions to negotiate on their behalf to ensure they get a fair wage increase each year, when that breaks down there is nothing left but for strike action. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Like I said in my post, I knew you'd say that so pre-empted it. ;)

The fact of the matter is many here and many other self employed people have increased their prices due to cost increase and inflation. Ive witnessed it personally twice this week alone, one through a large company and one through a self employed forester. They are private companies increasing what they charge for a service due to market demands and cost increases on the fly. Nurses do not have this ability and rely on the unions to negotiate on their behalf to ensure they get a fair wage increase each year, when that breaks down there is nothing left but for strike action. 

You are completely wrong again, when those that put their prices up are sitting in the house next year with no work coming in crying about I'll still be working. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Kimosabi said:

You are completely wrong again, when those that put their prices up are sitting in the house next year with no work coming in crying about I'll still be working. 

But they are putting their prices up and people are still accepting the price increases. If they find out next year they are getting less and less quotes accepted they can lower their prices until they gain traction. 

If you are to believed (doubt) that you earn the same as a Nurse does in a week in just over a day then you're prices are already considerably higher than your competitors and you can afford to hold off increasing your prices for some considerable time. Unfortunately for Nurses they are already paid so badly for the work they do they simply do not have the same cushion you claim you have. Inflation is hitting them hard, 10% inflation is effectively a 10% pay cut. But as we all know inflation is significantly higher than this with goods in the shops costing up to 30% more than two years ago. This is not sustainable for someone on a fixed income and considering they are keeping you and I alive and well they deserve to be not only keeping up with inflation but have a wage that reflects the work and skill their jobs entail. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kimosabi said:

Working for what though? You'll have first pick of all the shitty little jobs but earn sod all for doing them. It's all very well working cheap to be busy but it's not really sustainable when your costs keep increasing.

• Like 1