Arb Waste

logwood

Hi,

I am looking to buy raw wood in order to process into firewood.

Dont mind unseasoned but only looking for hardwood really.

If anyone wishes to sell any at the right price then let me know. I have brought by the ton before. How many builders bags should I be getting per ton of unseasoned wood?

I am in a position to collect as have a large van. 

Sometimes from jobs if it helps but obviously the price given will reflect the costs and time to pick up. 

Any advice or if you have any fir sale please feel free to message.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, logwood said:

Hi,

I am looking to buy raw wood in order to process into firewood.

Dont mind unseasoned but only looking for hardwood really.

If anyone wishes to sell any at the right price then let me know. I have brought by the ton before. How many builders bags should I be getting per ton of unseasoned wood?

I am in a position to collect as have a large van. 

Sometimes from jobs if it helps but obviously the price given will reflect the costs and time to pick up. 

Any advice or if you have any fir sale please feel free to message.

Thanks.

What do you call the right money per tonne ?

Well, its gotta be worth my while paying to collect, cutting up and selling on.

I reakon, and this is on the assumption, that 1 tonne in weight of unseasoned raw wood produces 2 x builders bags of logs. Then I need to be paying under half of retail value per tonne?

Hit me with a price? Per large transit van load (nearly as much as a transit tipper loaded full).

My van carries 2 tonne.

10 hours ago, Doug Tait said:

I wouldn't overlook using softwood, it is firewood too, and including your location would help.

Register here if you haven't already...

https://arbtalk.co.uk/recycling

I am in hertfordshire... so canntravel but not loads loads miles.

Also, get enough softwood free already. Cant offer a tip site as cant have people coming and going where I store. They wont let me.

• Like 1

I did have a great arrangement with a tree surgeon. I used to gk and pick up his wood from his jobs. He took the chip and dumped it locally and I took the wood in return for it. As he had no yard at the time. Also, cleared a guys yard for him when he was moving out in returm for the wood.

But as I say. Happy to buy it in

4 hours ago, logwood said:

Well, its gotta be worth my while paying to collect, cutting up and selling on.

I reakon, and this is on the assumption, that 1 tonne in weight of unseasoned raw wood produces 2 x builders bags of logs. Then I need to be paying under half of retail value per tonne?

Hit me with a price? Per large transit van load (nearly as much as a transit tipper loaded full).

My van carries 2 tonne.

The vol/weight ration of fresh matter is not the same for all species and 'builders bags' differ is size. Unless you intend using a public weighbridge you might consider making an offer based on volume if measureable. The value is going to be influenced by species, access and quality of 'arb waste' (branchwood, rings, sections from dismantled trees and/or main stem). As a guide 1 solid m3 = 2 m3 bulk split loose logs (25-30cm). The average weight of say a fresh (green) solid m3 mix of beech, ash, sycamore and birch would be about 0.895 tonne. On a price for those species if reasonably good access you might suggest around £30 solid m3 or £27 per tonne for 'arb waste' collected but then you might get if for nothing if contractor just wants it all out the way.

1 hour ago, Vedhoggar said:

The vol/weight ration of fresh matter is not the same for all species and 'builders bags' differ is size. Unless you intend using a public weighbridge you might consider making an offer based on volume if measureable. The value is going to be influenced by species, access and quality of 'arb waste' (branchwood, rings, sections from dismantled trees and/or main stem). As a guide 1 solid m3 = 2 m3 bulk split loose logs (25-30cm). The average weight of say a fresh (green) solid m3 mix of beech, ash, sycamore and birch would be about 0.895 tonne. On a price for those species if reasonably good access you might suggest around £30 solid m3 or £27 per tonne for 'arb waste' collected but then you might get if for nothing if contractor just wants it all out the way.

Thank you for the advice.

Yes, I was thinking 30 pounds per ton would be fair. 

That gives me say 30 pounds diesel cost and time to pick up.

Given I could get 2 ton bags of logs from the 60 pounds total cost then that gives me 60 pounds profit if i sell at 60 pounds a ton bag.

Which seems fair considering all the work involved and if it saves tree surgeons shifting it about.

If there are any takers I would be interested.

Thanks for the advice.

20 hours ago, logwood said:

Thank you for the advice.

Yes, I was thinking 30 pounds per ton would be fair. 

That gives me say 30 pounds diesel cost and time to pick up.

Given I could get 2 ton bags of logs from the 60 pounds total cost then that gives me 60 pounds profit if i sell at 60 pounds a ton bag.

Which seems fair considering all the work involved and if it saves tree surgeons shifting it about.

If there are any takers I would be interested.

Thanks for the advice.

£30 per tonne? Good luck with that! Otherwise please feel free to share any supplier who is able to supply firewood grade hardwood at this price, I will have an artic load. The majority of roadside timber prices I have seen on this forum over the past 2 years have been near double your expectation, i.e. £55 to £65 per tonne roadside.

Note the person selling the wood to you will not set their price based on what it costs you to transport/process the wood after you have bought it, they will base the price on the cost of labour, machinery, business running costs to extract the timber.