Getting it wet...

How long does it take dried wood to re-dry after getting soaked in the rain?

Had a couple of extra cubes of dried softwood stored behind the woodshed. It 'was' covered with plastic wrapped wooden sheets. But the high winds/rain we've had the past few weeks must have lifted those and the rain has been pi**ing in for days. If i can get this moved into the protection of the open sided wood store (or) inside the woodshed itself, will this be ok to burn soon? Or will i have to wait a while for this to dry out?

19 minutes ago, sandspider said:

If it's just surface damp they should dry off in a few days with protection from rain and wind allowed to blow through. If they're properly sodden, e.g. they've been sitting in water, it will take longer. Not as long as they would take to season originally though.

No. They've not been sitting in water. Just had the rain pouring over them for a few days; possibly more. Ok, that sounds fine. I'll get them moved into the woodshed on Wed and give them 7-10 days, then maybe test them with a moisture meter.

split one in half and you'll see how far the water has gone in, If they are really really wet then it will only be the ones on the outside that are, inside the pile will be reasonably dry - I often return the soaking ones to dry next summer and use the inside of the pile, often though take out the middle of the pile to a dryer store, make up a new stack with the outside edges and these will be dry given a few weeks of dry weather

• Like 1

I'm sure some of what's been said would be transferable 🤔

Split them in half to see how far the moisture goes.

If they are wet, then return to them the next summer.

The ones on the outside of the pile will be wetter than those on the inside.

It's always good to stack them against the wall in the woodshed.

and we all know ... if they are getting wet on one side, turn them round 🤪