Are Lantra and City and Guilds interchangeable?

William Clifford

Ok, so I have always thought that to carry out a task, let's say such as crosscutting, the person should (must?) be competent and qualified to meet HSE and insurance requirements? Or are we saying that a recognised training course (Lantra) ticks the box enough to be able to go ahead? An in-house training course isn't acceptable for this chap to use a chainsaw when working for my business, yet I believe that with a hedge trimmer, if the operator has read the manual and shows that they can use it competently, then that is good enough?

I was always sure that Lantra or City and Guilds were equally acceptable, and that if something went wrong, HSE and insurance would see that a reasonable amount of training / competency / qualifications were there? So as long as the courses are interchangeable, it wouldn't matter which he went on?

3 minutes ago, William Clifford said:

Ok, so I have always thought that to carry out a task, let's say such as crosscutting, the person should (must?) be competent and qualified to meet HSE and insurance requirements? Or are we saying that a recognised training course (Lantra) ticks the box enough to be able to go ahead? An in-house training course isn't acceptable for this chap to use a chainsaw when working for my business, yet I believe that with a hedge trimmer, if the operator has read the manual and shows that they can use it competently, then that is good enough?

I was always sure that Lantra or City and Guilds were equally acceptable, and that if something went wrong, HSE and insurance would see that a reasonable amount of training / competency / qualifications were there? So as long as the courses are interchangeable, it wouldn't matter which he went on?

If you book a LANTRA training course with assessment this is exactly the same as doing the LANTRA training then being assessed by an NPTC assessor, both result in a certificate of competence, the certificates would just come from different awarding bodies. Both these awarding bodies are externally verified by OFQUAL and recognised by HSE.
In house training on level 2/3 chainsaw courses are not regulated or verified so could not be worth the paper they are printed on in the eyes of HSE.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, William Clifford said:

Ok, thanks for that. So it needs to be training and assessment from whichever body 👍

I should say so.

But if there’s only £100 in it, and you get an extra days training, I would lean towards City and Guilds.

• Like 1

Its not that long since some organisations would not accept Lantra certificates, the FC was one but i now believe they do, one company we sub contract to would not accept Lantra and i think they still dont but i am not 100% sure on that one, Our local council who we do a bit of work for now n then didnt accept lantra but now they do, i think the only Lantra course i have done was for a sit a stride ATV (Quad Bike) please correct me if i am wrong i am sure it was a lantra course and i got a lantra certificate and a NPTC certificate for the same course ??

Hiya

I work for a training provider and initially found this very confusing.  However I now know that Lantra offer training and the respective qualification separately.

The confusion comes when candidates have a certificate of training with lantra and not the actual qualification, which they need if they want to use is as a prerequisite to further NPTC quals.

I've had a number of candidates try to book NPTC courses but only have the Lantra certificates of training (from other centres) and have been surprised to find that this isn't a qualification and therefore don't have the required prerequisites. 

I hope this helps clarify things for you.

34 minutes ago, Kerry BCA said:

Hiya

I work for a training provider and initially found this very confusing.  However I now know that Lantra offer training and the respective qualification separately.

The confusion comes when candidates have a certificate of training with lantra and not the actual qualification, which they need if they want to use is as a prerequisite to further NPTC quals.

I've had a number of candidates try to book NPTC courses but only have the Lantra certificates of training (from other centres) and have been surprised to find that this isn't a qualification and therefore don't have the required prerequisites. 

I hope this helps clarify things for you.

LANTRA qualifications can be prerequisites for NPTC if they have been assessed as well as trained by LANTRA, these certificates would carry a QAN number.

43 minutes ago, Retired Climber said:

I always thought that NPTC were professional qualifications, and Lantra were just the amateur version. No idea why, so feel free to ignore me. Last ticket I did was in 2003, so things may have changed. 

Bless.

Glad to get you a bit more up to speed.