Are Lantra and City and Guilds interchangeable?

William Clifford

I've had a read through previous threads and got the impression that Lantra and City and Guilds courses are interchangeable - Ie you could do a Lantra crosscutting and maintenance then follow it up with a City and Guilds refresher.

Where there are pre-requisites for courses such as small fell before large fell, climbing and aerial rescue before aerial cutting of trees etc, does it matter if one is Lantra the other City and Guilds?

After reading other threads I spoke with the insurance company to check their was no requirement for one or the other. They said "for insurance purposes we're not professionals in the industry in the qualifications so whichever you think are most suitable we don't specify what's required for this insurance". Personally, I think that wouldn't be relevant in the event of a claim?!

Thanks.

Ref: refreshers.

It is generally accepted that refresher training is just that, training.

There is no legal requirement to undertake a refresher assessment with the likes of Lantra or City and Guilds.

Most organisations accept ‘in-house’ refresher training tickets awarded by a recognised training centre.

Ref: Insurance.

Maybe they’ll pay out, maybe they won’t- they seem to be a law unto themselves.

The legal requirement is that staff are properly trained to undertake the work expected of them.

If push came to shove, holding a Lantra or City and Guilds qualification does not prove adequate training.

An example:

There is no requirement to use a top handled saw to undertake the ‘Aerial cutting with chainsaw using free fall techniques’ assessment (CS39 in old money).

I can pass that qual quite easily using a rear handled saw, having never even  laid  a finger on a topper.

When I bury the thing in my left wrist, how do I ever demonstrate adequate training?

Thanks. I ask because we were advised by a training centre that if we did training under one body, we wouldn't be able to use it as a pre-requisite for a training course with the other body. I thought that was outdated. Or does it depend on centres?

The chap looking at the course has used a chainsaw a lot but needs training / ticket - maintenance and cross cutting, to use it with me on my jobs to be covered by insurance (hopefully) etc. I would have thought Lantra would be fine (£100 less and 2 days as opposed to C&G 3 days). I would expect the level of training to be the same as I haven't heard that one is a lesser qualification? But he wouldn't want to start on a training / assessment route which might have limitations to further courses?

I pretty much train all my courses using the LANTRA workbooks/guidance then the candidates are assessed by an NPTC assessor.

The training is the training, they could complete the week and still be crap.

The NPTC assessment is ‘independent’ of the training and is a certificate of competence, not a certificate of training.

17 minutes ago, 5thelement said:

The NPTC assessment is ‘independent’ of the training and is a certificate of competence, not a certificate of training.

The Lantra assessment should also be ‘independent’ of the training and is a certificate of competence, not a certificate of training.

55 minutes ago, Bolt said:

The Lantra assessment should also be ‘independent’ of the training and is a certificate of competence, not a certificate of training.

Yeah, but hardly anyone books LANTRA assessments in reality, no one has asked me to do one in the last 8 years.

• Haha 1