Oak logs not burning

Sorry to take so long to respond, to busy selling stoves to get here.

Have read most of the thread,   I sell probably 25 tonnes a year of imported kiln dried Oak,  have done for some years.   Never had a complaint and its always the wood I sell out of first.

So I would be fairly sure that your logs are either to large or wet in the middle due to not having been in a kiln for long enough.   

There was another comment about the stove not wanting to go,   this can be caused by a number of reasons mainly flue related or driver error or fuel issues.

Assuming you are fluing into a brick or stone chimney and you have a wind outside then you should be getting enough pull if there is a stainless steel liner in the chimney.   Have you tried top down lighting,   firelighters on top of the kindling,  that will get some heat into the chimney to start with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Always top down lighting especially as stove is very tall.

but having difficulty just lighting dry kindle?

sure it’s some sort of air issue or lack of it 🤷🏼‍♂️
after speaking to manufacturers expert I dismantled it and top vents are clear!

why would opening a window relight a dwindling flame when it’s connected to an external vent?

puling my hair out 🤦🏼‍♂️

That's across the grain tho, wasn't meant as a teaching to suck eggs.

But effectively take the highest reading, even then a 4" log would be dry regardless.

I'd suggest getting someone to check the installation, it's safer than just throwing around solutions.

As we can all suggest lots of things but without it being Infront of us and knowing model numbers etc.

Edited by GarethM

I agree opening a window and the stove reacting indicates it's sucking air from the room.  If the top vents are clear that makes sense doesn't it?  Those vents are open to the room.  Opening the window and getting a reaction suggests the room/house is sealed pretty tight, and the stove needs more air.  YouTube checked your external air pipework haven't you?  If not then check that's not been blocked by a mouse nest or something.

How tall is the flue and is the flue top higher than the rest of the house?  Ie the stove isn't in a single storey extension with flue stopping not far above the roof, but main house is 2 or 3 storeys.

Buy a packet of smoke pellets, screwfix etc have them.  And test the draw.  Use a blow torch to warm the flue from inside the stove for a minute or so, light the smoke pellet, put in stove and shut the door, vents closed.  The stove will fill with smoke. Open the vents and the smoke should rapidly exit up the flue.  It should do this with any windows shut.  Do the test with the door to the room shut and again open, and again with any bathroom and kitchen extractor fans running and doors between them and the stove open.  If the smoke doesn't exit up the flue in every case then the draw is too weak, and we can then try to work out why. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pacemaker1000 said:

Always top down lighting especially as stove is very tall.

but having difficulty just lighting dry kindle?

The best way to actually light the wood when using the top-down-method is by rubbing two bits of kindling together.  

It’s ESSENTIAL that you very carefully make sure that both bits aren’t from different types of tree.

You see,  as long as they are exactly the same, you’ll have a match.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I do feel sorry for people who have these sort of problems . I am lucky as my stove is a piece of piss to light . Top down , bottom up , side to side it just lights . With the bottom air slide fully open ( the only control ) and the door on the first catch it roars into life in seconds . about 2mins later shut the door leaving the air slide control fully open untill the stove is as hot as you need the close it down to tickover . Winner winner chicken dinner .

• Like 4