Intelligent mice

Conor Wright

Right, so it's that time of year, the mice are on the move. Nothing new it happens every year. Usually the cats do most of the work but our good hunter is currently out of action with a broken leg of unknown origin. The other cat prefers to watch the mice play and may or may not take a quick swipe at one if it came within range of her bed.

I've always set traps and usually catch anywhere from two up to, I think 11 was the record one year. Not exactly an infestation but this year feels different.

I can hear them, I've noticed poop, I've trapped three within the last week but there is one hanging around the warm air distribution system and he/she/it/non binary mouse identifying as a part of my home or whatever it is simply refuses to take the bait. Literally. Maybe it's gotten street smart, I've tried a few traps, old school, newer plastic ones, pre baited and no joy, although the cat set one off and came to the window at 2 am politely requesting I remove it from her paw. We have the ultrasonic mouser plug in things, they dont seem to do a lot but they're there plugged in doing their thing. 

I'm starting to think this mouse is a bit brighter than the others. I don't want to poison it in case it rots between the walls. Shooting it isn't really an option as there's too many wires and ducting around where I can hear him, also my better half has banned me from shooting from inside ever since the rat in the dry lining incident.

So, any ideas on alternative mouse catching devices, humane or not, just nothing too explosive. The rat took quite a bit of cleaning. Thankfully it was a rental.

• Like 1

I used to put traps before we had cats, now we're down to one cat and it's getting old I may have to start again.

My problem was usually the bait disappearing without tripping, had fairly ordinary wooden spring traps so I'd put a currant and tie it on with cotton. Usually get a few mice with the same currant.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Conor Wright said:

Chief mouser out of action, loves being inside though!

20221107_192912.jpg

I generally rely on a pair of jet-black terriers to solve our vermin problems, but I could see that would only create additional problems with your current mousers!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

I used to put traps before we had cats, now we're down to one cat and it's getting old I may have to start again.

My problem was usually the bait disappearing without tripping, had fairly ordinary wooden spring traps so I'd put a currant and tie it on with cotton. Usually get a few mice with the same currant.

Did you ever have a go with Nutella or peanut butter?

You can smear it really firmly onto the trap trip, so that the mouse has to put some hard work in to get it off.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Did you ever have a go with Nutella or peanut butter?

You can smear it really firmly onto the trap trip, so that the mouse has to put some hard work in to get it off.

No, didn't think of those. Cheese is traditional (always worked on Tom and Jerry) but the bits would break when I tried tying tight so always just disappeared. Chocolate was the other idea but hard to spike on to the trap, didn't try too hard as I'd rather eat the chocolate myself. Once I found currants never needed to try anything else.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

No, didn't think of those. Cheese is traditional (always worked on Tom and Jerry) but the bits would break when I tried tying tight so always just disappeared. Chocolate was the other idea but hard to spike on to the trap, didn't try too hard as I'd rather eat the chocolate myself. Once I found currants never needed to try anything else.

Definitely try the Nutella or peanut butter, far less faffin’ about with tying stuff on!

• Like 1

I like the currant idea though. Gonna give that a go.

1 hour ago, Dan Maynard said:

Gonna give the currant a go. I've had the same problem with cheese disappearing. Usually melt the chocolate onto the trap. Fairly reliable way of catching the little feckers.

• Like 2