Poor starting with Husqvarna 550 xp (mk1) Puzzled.

David Dobedoe

I have a fairly consistent problem with the starting of a 550xp.

Most often when others, mostly novice/students use it who perhaps not using the switch as intended.

My guess is that they flood it and then its dreadful if not impossible to start.

Abandon the saw for a couple of days and attempt to start it 'pops' on first or second pull.

Still won't start as it should but will start with the throttle held down. Perhaps this is significant to those of you with more knowledge than me?

Smokey once started. I don't think fuel quality/mix  is the issue as its one of several saws all on the same fuel. Usually the Husqvarna XP pre mix.

Get the saw warmed up and it's fine.

Stop and restart whilst hot and its perfect.

I'm wondering if the novice users and flooding it is a factor?

Perhaps the petrol is evaporating off overnight and then when restarted there is an excess of 2 stroke oil in the cylinder which is the source of the smoke.

I know the mk1 550's can be a bit fickle in regards to starting, in this regard ,this is one of the worst saws I've used. If I had to guess the saw would have 100 - 150 hours on it.

Anyone seen this before? Any ideas?

Thanks

David 

You are probably right about the way they are trying to start the saw, i always found with the 550 that the first time it fires on full choke it's that faint that people who aren't used to the saw don't hear it fire and continue to pull at it on full choke, after that you have to hold the throttle fully open and pull it over with the chain brake on

• Like 1

If you use the proper starting procedure, then you won't have a problem.

You probably know, but if you don't, then this is how:

(Cold saw)
1. Use the decomp button.
2. Prime 5-6 times (you can't overprime it so don't worry about that).
3. Pull out and up on the stop/start lever to put it in the choke position.
4. Pull until the saw fires one time.
5. Push down on the stop/start lever to activate high idle mode.
6. Pull until the saw fires up.

To start the saw when it's hot:

2. Pull out and up on the start/stop lever to put it in the choke position.

3. Push down on the stop/start lever to activate high idle mode.

4. Pull until the saw fires up.

• Like 3

Just now, Ferguson system said:

If you use the proper starting procedure, then you won't have a problem.

You probably know, but if you don't, then this is how:

(Cold saw)
2. Prime 5-6 times (you can't overprime it so don't worry about that).
3. Pull out and up on the stop/start lever to put it in the choke position.
4. Pull until the saw fires one time.
5. Push down on the stop/start lever to activate high idle mode.
6. Pull until the saw fires up.

To start the saw when it's hot:

2. Pull out and up on the start/stop lever to put it in the choke position.

3. Push down on the stop/start lever to activate high idle mode.

4. Pull until the saw fires up.

I should add that it helps to leave the saw running in high idle position for 30-60 sec after it starts, so autotune can adjust to the conditions.

30 minutes ago, Steven P said:

"My guess is that they flood it and then its dreadful if not impossible to start." - take the spark plug out if you think that's what they did and pull it over for a bit to clear it usually works for me

Yes. And have a look at the plug and see if its sopping wet, likely from what you say. That bit of info will point you in a better direction for how to start it consistantly from cold .... maybe you pull it over on choke for 2 or 3 pulls only, irrespective of whether it coughs or not.... 

1 hour ago, Ferguson system said:

I should add that it helps to leave the saw running in high idle position for 30-60 sec after it starts, so autotune can adjust to the conditions.

i have also found letting it idle for a short min befor shutting it off also helps as your letting its brain realize its not under load .

Ok think the OP answered the question in his post...probably people with no knowledge trying to start the machine and flooding it.

Fergusons start procedure is fine, if the saw is lacking a bit of compression, I wouldn't use the decomp although the 550 starter pulley can be a bit fragile.

If you suspect the saw has flooded, take the plug out, turn the saw upside down, pull it over hard a few times and see if droplets of fuel come out. This will dry a flooded saw out and just use the fast idle...choke lever out and up then clicked down to start!