2t lawnmower tuning AS Motor

Daniël Bos

2 hours ago, Daniël Bos said:

A final test of what exactly?

What would doing that tell me?

Whether you are going to be able to get it going without throwing money at it. Can you think of a better idea?? Thought not.. Try it and you might just surprise yourself..

john..

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, john87 said:

Whether you are going to be able to get it going without throwing money at it. Can you think of a better idea?? Thought not.. Try it and you might just surprise yourself..

john..

Are you the guy that was 'chopping' tree's down in a Motorbike Helmet and Leathers earlier this year? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, john87 said:

Perhaps it is just knackered.. Try this as a final test, it has never failed me..

Put in brand new fuel. Take out the plug and heat the end bit literally red hot with a blow lamp. Put it back in as fast as you can and try to start the thing. 99% certain it will go first pull..

john..

This is a very old school method of getting an engine going, the sort of thing that is written in stone or Dead Sea scrolls...handed down from father to son over the years and...it works as it helps, dry the plug and helps vapourize the fuel just where the plug needs it. 

Does it work....got home once and my neighbour had spent the last hour trying to get a hired Whacker plate going....I said.....What John said and went in for a cuppa, two minutes later....he was Whacking like a good un and it has worked for me on many saws over the years.

It won't fix a fooked coil but it gives a semi or fully flooded engine the best chance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

Are you the guy that was 'chopping' tree's down in a Motorbike Helmet and Leathers earlier this year? 

Err, no.. That was the bloke that had a row of huge conifers that he was going to go up with a 20 foot ladder complete with a saw. He was never heard from again, so no idea!!

john..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, spudulike said:

This is a very old school method of getting an engine going, the sort of thing that is written in stone or Dead Sea scrolls...handed down from father to son over the years and...it works as it helps, dry the plug and helps vapourize the fuel just where the plug needs it. 

Does it work....got home once and my neighbour had spent the last hour trying to get a hired Whacker plate going....I said.....What John said and went in for a cuppa, two minutes later....he was Whacking like a good un and it has worked for me on many saws over the years.

It won't fix a fooked coil but it gives a semi or fully flooded engine the best chance.

Nothing like experience eh!! I first did this about 50 years ago trying to start my honda 50 i had. Worked then, has never failed since!!

john..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

*****UPDATE*****

Spoiler, it fell off the roof...

So, took a while to get to this stage, got actual work to do as well!

I first went back to the beginning, the mount for the coil wasn't as it should be so i removed all my JB weld bodgery and fabricobbled a sturdy aluminum bracket riveted to the casing in four places. 

Convinced by its sturdiness I resumed testing. The original coil gave no signs of life still, but one I robbed off a lawnmower did!

I couldn't mount the lawnmower one due to size  restrictions so I went to order a new one.

Turns out they've been making mowers like this one for a looooong time, with many small changes but none so obvious that it makes determination of what one I have exactly an easy job. What also didn't help is the chassisnumber being printed on a sticker and thus long gone.

So I went to Germany to visit the dealer who told me my coil was unavailable and had been superseded. "This one fits all 6hp two strokes" he said confidently...

It didn't quite, but with some adaptation of my homemade mount, and sticking two individual plates of the old coil over the new one I got it mounted securely and got ignition!

Not long after that she ran, and with a little fiddling it ran quite good.

Tried to do some adjustments as it revved over 5k, when it's supposed to max out at 4500. Adjustments are done by turning the governor mount (which is a vane beside the flywheel/fan) more or less towards the flywheel, thereby changing at what rpm the wind blows that vane aside and with that closes the throttle.

Happy with my results so far, I went to field testing.

The thing was bought because we have three large grass roofs that need mowing once a year, so steep (everything not perfectly flat is seen as steep here in the Netherlands) and overgrown.

So up I go, and bruummmmm!!! We're mowing! It mows quick and easy!

I'm focused on my tacho, seeing what it revs like under load etc, making sure I don't hit the roof mounted fall arrest system, not falling off etc.

So focused that I didn't notice the angry swarm of wasps whose home I just demolished...

They announced themselves all at once.

I stopped the mower, made sure the dead-man was functioning and the mower no longer moving, and ran!

Assisted by the wee beasties to keep going I was 50 or so meters away when the engine was almost at zero rpm.

At almost zero rpm however, it shakes the machine much more than at operating speed.

The shaking caused it to shift a little, after which it started it's irreversible tumble down the roof.

I could but stand and stare.

It fell in a relatively lucky place, on soil.

It managed to land upside down, and got bent somewhat...

My recovery attempts were hampered by the swarm, but after a little wait I got back to it and it still runs like a champ!

All it needs now is some new av mounts, and a good session with a big hammer to readjust the various bent bits.

And then, it'll be perfect...!

DSC_0637.thumb.JPG.d485b7dbdeff7512353e58b9e46f9e89.JPG

IMG-20221022-WA0000.thumb.jpeg.a4565c0170c32a0411dae9ac35e4a0e8.jpeg

IMG-20221023-WA0004.thumb.jpeg.ad036bc00e55f3d16e293bac0baf7b2d.jpegIMG-20221023-WA0006.thumb.jpeg.8d2098fb52b97a28dc0ecb0a195fcd8b.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, spudulike said:

You couldn't make it up could you? Man has buggered mower, man fixes mower, man gets attacked by swarm of jaspers, man escapes but the mower takes a dive:scared1:

Glad you got it fixed and it looks like you survived the trauma.

Tbh, sounds like an absolutely cracking day to me.