Energy price cap

eggsarascal

1 hour ago, Big J said:

I think it's generally always been understood that the Conservatives are nasty, but they are financially prudent. A necessary evil.

But with Truss's bonanza for the rich tax-cut giveaway, where is the prudency? It just leaves nasty....

I know I've never been the UKs cheerleader, but now I'm on the outside looking in, it seems more f*cked than ever. I genuinely have no idea how the public debt or deficit will ever be tackled. How can the government justify continuing to borrow on our children's future?

I can’t disagree that  the optics were dreadful, whom ever it was that advised in the current climate to throw in the removal of the 45% and bankers bonus caps 🤷‍♂️a massive own goal to say the least. A reduction to the 40% ie the people ( often natural conservatives)  grinding it out trying to get on would have been a far better idea.  I’m a conservative by nature but also as I’ve stated many times believe in state ownership of essential services and strategically important industries, Right here and now the current political set up and MSM ability to focus on and build up/ pull down an individual at a whim just puts us in a two part in out dance, I’ve certainly zero faith in Labours ability to  come  in and start sorting much out, especially after watching Starmer recently talking crap on renewables etc. One thing that the last week or so does show is the insane vulnerability of the majority to the whims of the so called “ market” ( playing with numbers and products that sane people can’t even comprehend)  people and companies that I’ve no doubt have done very well and generated billions out of the recent situation. I think we are being utterly played at the moment on a scale we can’t even comprehend.

Edited by Johnsond
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Big J said:

I think it's generally always been understood that the Conservatives are nasty, but they are financially prudent. A necessary evil.

But with Truss's bonanza for the rich tax-cut giveaway, where is the prudency? It just leaves nasty....

I know I've never been the UKs cheerleader, but now I'm on the outside looking in, it seems more f*cked than ever. I genuinely have no idea how the public debt or deficit will ever be tackled. How can the government justify continuing to borrow on our children's future?

As our resident rationalist, and given your well known views on our housing stock, how would you advise someone caught in Eggsie's dilemma?

And remembering, bricks and mortar in the UK are "safe as houses" in times of trouble, lets try and be practicial? 🤣

He has to watch inflation, interest rates, the media mood for Liz Truss, the local economy and lord knopws what else.

What does he do?

(Only an irredeemable cynic would say he has to wait for the repossessions to start and scoup up something nice at a bargain price at auction)

1 hour ago, Sutton said:

As our resident rationalist, and given your well known views on our housing stock, how would you advise someone caught in Eggsie's dilemma?

And remembering, bricks and mortar in the UK are "safe as houses" in times of trouble, lets try and be practicial? 🤣

He has to watch inflation, interest rates, the media mood for Liz Truss, the local economy and lord knopws what else.

What does he do?

(Only an irredeemable cynic would say he has to wait for the repossessions to start and scoup up something nice at a bargain price at auction)

A lot of auctioned properties are cash only. You can't get a look in if you are skint. 

17 minutes ago, Retired Climber said:

A lot of auctioned properties are cash only. You can't get a look in if you are skint. 

What he said was, someone in my dilemma. I've got some money from the sale of my last place, and I can get a mortgage for the rest, but I'm not getting back on the housing ladder atm. Waiting for others to go nap isn't a bad idea.

1 hour ago, Sutton said:

What does he do?

It's very hard to know. 

The issue with the vast majority of the housing stock is that it's not fit for purpose. This has become abundantly clear with the present energy crisis. 

It would be far better to view housing in a similar way to cars. Yes, old cars are beautifully designed and of historic importance, but you certainly wouldn't want to 'daily' them and you definitely don't want to be anywhere near it in a crash.

As regards Eggs' dilemma, I'd suggest self build if possible. Try to exploit the market uncertainty to find some 'reasonably' priced land and go down the self build or self manage route. If you can build a house that is designed and built for you and your family, it doesn't really matter what it's eventual value is as why would you need to move? Additionally, it'll be cheaper than paying market rate.

I'm not suggesting that it's plain sailing though, as the combination of finding the right plot and negotiating planning is enough to finish many people off. 

Or just move to Sweden. There was a lovely old 6 bed house (380 square metres) in the next village that sold last month for £102k. Geothermal heating and 3/4 of an acre of land too. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Big J said:

Yes, old cars are beautifully designed and of historic importance, but you certainly wouldn't want to 'daily' them and you definitely don't want to be anywhere near it in a crash.

Equally, some older cars will still be going long after lots of the stuff sitting in the showrooms today has gone in the crusher.

The 'quality' of some newbuilds is atrocious.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, coppice cutter said:

Equally, some older cars will still be going long after lots of the stuff sitting in the showrooms today has gone in the crusher.

The 'quality' of some newbuilds is atrocious.

I totally agree, but the old ones will always cost a fortune to fuel (relatively speaking). 

As regards housing, the issue isn't that it's new (because there is no justification for an inefficient new built house), the issue is that they are built terribly to make lots of money for housing companies. That is their main purpose, rather than accommodating families comfortably and economically.

13 minutes ago, Big J said:

As regards Eggs' dilemma, I'd suggest self build if possible.

Self-build mortgages were almost impossible to obtain even before the latest carry-on.

Daughter and Son-in-law are nearing the end of their own build which they've had to do without a mortgage, and that despite having over £70k of savings to begin with and owning the site.

Every application they made for self-build finance was refused.

There's been a lot of juggling and gathering up to get them to the end of the build.

Edited by coppice cutter
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, coppice cutter said:

Self-build mortgages were almost impossible to obtain even before the latest carry-on.

Daughter and Son-in-law are nearing the end of their own build which they've had to do without a mortgage, and that despite having over £70k of savings to begin with and owning the site.

Every application they made for self-build finance was refused.

There's being a lot of juggling and gathering up to get them to the end of the build.

All credit to them for seeing it through. They can be very proud of themselves.

How depressing is it though that the government is only too happy to throw money at us (help to buy) so that we can buy shitty, mass-produced new builds but there is no support for people wanting to do it themselves. It's almost like the housing companies lobby the government to enact policy that makes them more money..... 🤔

• Like 1