Stove top heat storage blocks for room transfer

At a time when we are all looking at reducing heating costs what about this idea.  I have read a lot on forums about the use of heat storage bricks or blocks placed on top of stoves which retain the heat and radiate it out once fire dies.  But why not transfer that block to another room to heat that.  Placed in a heat resistant container with a metal grate over it for protection.  Any thoughts?

How about the totally radical notion that the bloody stove could be constructed from heavy section cast iron, so additional bricks are not needed, but then it would take longer to warm up  .  .  .

And moving the hundreds of kilos of bricks needed would require a conveyor belt or fork truck.

I like the massive Russian stoves built from mass masonary with convoluted flueways, and beauitfully tiled with all the ledges and nooks and crannies to and sleep on and store stuff in. 

Keep it simple.

• Like 2

It would work as you are just talking about a mobile night storage heater but heated with your stove instead of electric. Marcus has pointed out the big problem though and thats the weight of bricks you are going to moving about twice a day. 

Always fancied a large masonry stove but our place does heat evenly enough without due to having good insulation levels. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Peterliv72 said:

At a time when we are all looking at reducing heating costs what about this idea.  I have read a lot on forums about the use of heat storage bricks or blocks placed on top of stoves which retain the heat and radiate it out once fire dies.  But why not transfer that block to another room to heat that.  Placed in a heat resistant container with a metal grate over it for protection.  Any thoughts?

You’d be better off with a wall fan to move the hot air around. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

You’d be better off with a wall fan to move the hot air around. 

Just fitted 2 twin turbo fans to my stove and have to say ... they work remarkably well at moving the warm air all through the house. Well worth looking into as an option.

Thanks for the replies and thoughts.  I was only thinking a single block per other room which might be enough to take the edge off the cold.  So no envisaging a lot of lifting.  Coupled perhaps with a flower pot tea light heater! I've got a stove top fan - fine for dispersing heat in the room it it just doesn't get out of the room.  I think I would need a fan in the door recess.  Its an old house with high celings solid walls and big rooms.  We have 2 stoves at either end of house in public rooms so the blocks would be for bedrooms which wouldn't need to be that warm.

You can try the bricks but I suspect that you will need a few to make a difference, to storage heaters I had had about 40kg of bricks in, we had them downstairs, nothing upstairs so that is about 12kg of hot bricks per room to heat up and move about.

This is what you need, fill it full of ash, shove it in the bed just before bedtime, take it out just before the sheets start burning.

See the source image

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Peterliv72 said:

Thanks for the replies and thoughts.  I was only thinking a single block per other room which might be enough to take the edge off the cold.  So no envisaging a lot of lifting.  Coupled perhaps with a flower pot tea light heater! I've got a stove top fan - fine for dispersing heat in the room it it just doesn't get out of the room.  I think I would need a fan in the door recess.  Its an old house with high celings solid walls and big rooms.  We have 2 stoves at either end of house in public rooms so the blocks would be for bedrooms which wouldn't need to be that warm.

You should do the sums, the heat the blocks hold will be the highest temperature they get to minus the temperature in the room you take them to times their mass times their specific heat, it will be less than you might expect.

I have a fan sucking from the convection ports in my 4kW stove and blowing into the next room, through the wall, 3 meters distance. It sends 30-40 degree heat and is good enough not to need heating in any other rooms, this is a small house but solid walls.

• Like 3