Stihl MS 181/MS231 C-BE or standard?

Richard Men

I have decided to buy either a Stihl MS211 or 181 to replace my knackered Husky 236 which saw 12 years of mostly good service. I use it for sawing a 25 ton load of trailered logs along with 3 others. Diameters range from mostly 1 foot to 18 inches. I'd be very grateful for any advice on which model may be best but also if the C-BE versions are worth the extra money and whether or not they cause extra problems. I'm a quite fit 68 year old so I don't think the weight difference would be too much of a problem. Thanks in advance!

Either will take you an age to saw a full load of logs. 

can you up your budget to something like an ms261?

The gimmicks like ergo start and quick chain tensioning are only found on ‘domestic’ saws, but avoid them as stated if you do stick with the little models. 

6 hours ago, Retired Climber said:

The 211 is far superior; it's a small proper saw. The 181 is a toy saw. 

Go with as few gimmicks as you can get. The most basic versions of saws are always the best. 

I agree with this, although saying 181 is a toy is a little harsh. 171 is the toy.

Muffler mod helps them out no end.

Use a barge pole on the ergo start, primer bulb and toolless tensioner, they'll just give bother at some point. 

Looked after they last ok, but they are plastic so dont stand up to too much abuse.

Agree with the above. A big saw will cut small logs, a small saw will struggle with big logs. So go bigger, within reason. All the 200 range are decent.Personally,  I wouldn't bother with a quick tensioner. You will no doubt check your chain tension before starting. One adjustment, if it needs it, will probably do for a session.  Buy a spare chain with the extra it costs. That's my advice