Help fitting Grass blade to Husqvarna 555RXT

Muddy42

The bloody idiot, the support cup was like a dick in shirt sleeve on the output shaft, it will vibrate like hell, the support cup goes on first hence the hole diameter in it to sit on the arbour, then the flange and nut, you can see how accidents happen.

• Like 1

Yes and no grease on the drive.

I don't think I will ever get used to reverse thread.  Even if I do lots of strimming, all it takes it to turn something forwards (like a spark plug, same spanner) and the familiarity is lost.

Thanks everyone for the help, I have what I need now, I'll make the stack wider somehow and replace the support up.

Right I have spoken to Husqvarna and my local dealer.  They say assembly should be:

1. drive disc

2. metal cup (so far the same for any attachment)

3. grass blade

4. support flange (but with the base of the dome against the blade, the opposite way from my pic above)

5. support cup and nut

Apparently a small gap between the support cup and the blade is OK.  The support cup is simply there as a bump protector, to protect the thread and nut. I guess it might have a minor role as a spacer washer in the stack.

So I had the support flange the wrong way round.  I hope I haven't done any long term damage. In my defense, the support flange does fit inside the blade when inserted this way round, but I guess it doesn't provide as much clamping force.

If anyone from Husqvarna is reading this, your instructions are rubbish and the assembly picture is too small!

3 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Looking back at the pictures I should have noticed that from the wear ring showing on it. I suspect there is also an element of springiness used properly, like a bellville washer.

Exactly like a Bellville washer. Totally not your fault, annoyed with myself and Husqvarna.  The manual wasn't very helpful.  There was an argument for the other way round as the collar fitted into the blade and this might have promoted concentricity.

Pretty sure that is what I said, if that is a page from the 555 manual then it is terribly wrong, i must confess I thought they still used the ball bearing support cup as as the cup stopped running to reduce wear on it, however I know operators complained it made it harder to scythe through the grass when it stopped turning, I will look at the manual.

On 17/08/2022 at 17:37, Muddy42 said:

This is what is shown in the manual, which I believe I have followed exactly (as shown above).  It still feels like the stack is too short.

image.png.d8b0caaa6c0078325fccd2845193d208.png

Yup this is what the online manual shows, shocking level of detail, no way you can tell which way round the support flange goes. I apologise if that is what you were getting at in your post.  Anyway got there in the end.

Maybe someone at Husqvarna will read this and post a video on youtube or something.