1999 Steyr Daimler Van in for a much needed refurb.

difflock

12 hours ago, Will C said:

+1 for gunk, be warned tho once you start you will be in amongst it with a paint brush for a hour or more before washing it off, it gets addictive 🤣

The risk o me getting addicted to cleaning is, I fear, remarkedly low.

EDIT

I forgot to say how absolutely totally unbelieviably black and sticky that shit is .

And with the whiteboard van paintwork as an impromptu  canvas  .  .  ., never mind my fingers .  .  .😳

Edited by difflock
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hallauagh!

The mechanic was back this morning and sorted the leak. It was the "O" ring that sealed(or was supposed to seal) the "bung" in the head of the pump. And easily DIY strippable with the "special" socket easily  available from various aftermarket suppliers.

Too many birthdays and plastic hard and full of cracks.

Which I could have sorted myself, with the benefit of pure informed hindsight of course.

Now I got a ful sparel seal kit, plus a set of spare spare seals to hang on a nail somewhere!

IMG_20230417_124349398.jpg

Edited by difflock
  • Like 2

That Gunk degreaser is now rubbish, im sure theyve changed the recipe as well as putting the price up 35%. I used to tip 5 litres in a bucket and be able to use it for over a month to clean parts but now it only has degreasing properties for a couple of days and then reverts to a bucked of coloured water.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ChrisNewport said:

That Gunk degreaser is now rubbish, im sure theyve changed the recipe as well as putting the price up 35%. I used to tip 5 litres in a bucket and be able to use it for over a month to clean parts but now it only has degreasing properties for a couple of days and then reverts to a bucked of coloured water.

No doubt due to "environmentally friendly" considerations, or indeed, "elf an safety".

I read the tin, and it is basically kerosine, with unspecifed traces of some acid.

I did think, hmmmmm   .   .   .

2 hours ago, ChrisNewport said:

You're not wrong, I mentioned Gunk to remove @difflock's gunk as a comedic tongue in cheek suggestion based on the original post, it was a fairly decent water soluble degreaser back in the 70's, but I've no doubt that it no longer bears any resemblance to the original formula.

Personally I've always used neat petrol and compressed air for cleaning engine parts prior to re-assembly since my early teens and I see no reason to change from a degreasing point of view, although I strongly suspect that petrol is probably far more toxic than it used to be due to the interference of ' science '.

29 minutes ago, Macpherson said:

You're not wrong, I mentioned Gunk to remove @difflock's gunk as a comedic tongue in cheek suggestion based on the original post, it was a fairly decent water soluble degreaser back in the 70's, but I've no doubt that it no longer bears any resemblance to the original formula.

Personally I've always used neat petrol and compressed air for cleaning engine parts prior to re-assembly since my early teens and I see no reason to change from a degreasing point of view, although I strongly suspect that petrol is probably far more toxic than it used to be due to the interference of ' science '.

Are you a smoker?

MacPherson,

while using neat petrol nicely dispersed with compressed air?

Edited by difflock

That comment about neat petrol and compressed air reminded me of,

(and entirely at my Supervisory instruction),

us using a wee 50l air compressor to attempt to suck heating oil through a pipe between the oil tank and the boiler room in a new £1,000,000.00 Community Hall, after the bollocks of a Community Group had run the tank empty and despite a full fill of oil, the pipe was somehow airlocked, or the oil would NOT gravity feed to the boiler.

So a "hot urgent" instruction from my line manager resulted in this somewhat desperate measure.

Anyway as I observed the aerosol of kero droplets spewing from the compressor, I quipped, "tis a good job neither of us smoke" very rapidly followed up with "suggesting" it might be a good idea to move the compressor somewhere outside of the boiler room, like well outside!, and well away from the door!

P.S.

I did ponder the imponderable nature of the insurance claim form that I mighta hadda needed to fill in  .  .  .

Edited by difflock