A problem with Privet

John Skinner

Question

I've just taken down / am still taking down about 100ft of 50yr old privet hedge from a neighbours garden. There was no way the roots were coming out, so i've cut it off at just above ground level. I know from trying to get rid of my own a few years back, this stuff is hard to stop coming back. Hell ... mine came back through 2 sheets of plastic and about 12" of stones. So what's the best way (other than removing the roots) of killing this off? Is there a poison i can put onto the newly cut stumps to kill the roots ... or ???

* Anyone want around 30 cubic bags of Privet hedge? No, you say? But why? lol 🤔🤣

Yes, you can buy stump killer poison in DIY stores. May not work the first time.

The best way is a stump grinder, hedge roots are really easy to grind even with a pedestrian grinder and if they're gone they don't grow well . Otherwise mini digger on hire but then you have a huge pile of roots to deal with/burn.

17 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

Yes, you can buy stump killer poison in DIY stores. May not work the first time.

The best way is a stump grinder, hedge roots are really easy to grind even with a pedestrian grinder and if they're gone they don't grow well . Otherwise mini digger on hire but then you have a huge pile of roots to deal with/burn.

When i did my own hedge a few years back, i dug down about 9" and cut-off down to that point. I then covered the lot with 2 sheets of plastic and about 12" of stones. To this day i still have a mini hedge of the the one i tried to kill 🙄 When another neighbour tried to get rid of his hedge, he ended up with a huge hole, a heavy chain and a pickup to rip them out. They sure do get a grip after 50yrs 😱

I'll look online and see what i can get as a root/stump killer. I think that will be the way to go on these.

2 minutes ago, rapalaman said:

Depending on the size of the stumps it may take several in each one. Normally do 2-4 inch spacing 

Above the ground level its just clusters of small cut-off stumps; 2-4" each. But below the ground level that opens up to a single much bigger block root. I'll stick one in each of the bigger stump heads, that should do it. One in each, then double up with any i have left over. They will be intended for much bigger tree stumps, so they will be over strength (or you'd like to think so) for something of this size.

1 hour ago, John Skinner said:

Above the ground level its just clusters of small cut-off stumps; 2-4" each. But below the ground level that opens up to a single much bigger block root. I'll stick one in each of the bigger stump heads, that should do it. One in each, then double up with any i have left over. They will be intended for much bigger tree stumps, so they will be over strength (or you'd like to think so) for something of this size.

You would put one every 2-4 inches in a ring around a larger stump, so they are strong but you use quite a few on a big stump.

Only disadvantage to those is the plastic bits left in the ground afterwards but they are easy to pick up if you're nearby.

32 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

You would put one every 2-4 inches in a ring around a larger stump, so they are strong but you use quite a few on a big stump.

Only disadvantage to those is the plastic bits left in the ground afterwards but they are easy to pick up if you're nearby.

It's just a very annoying Privet hedge. So no big stumps, just clusters of small ones on large old roots. It's along a drive/road in an L-shape. So they can pick those plastic bits up as they pass daily.

34 minutes ago, Will C said:

Only privet it may be but you will still use more plugs than you expect if you go by the instructions.
But yes eco plugs are the easiest route to go down. 

Well just bought a box of 100 plugs. If it survives that ... hell ... it deserves to live 👍 

Just trying to get this done so i can get started on my crimson king maple and cherry, both need a damn good cut back. Apparently there has been sun at the front of my house all along (i had no idea) it was blocked by the trees 🙄