Softwood logs?

Fentiger

Looking for some advice. We`ve had a good season on logs, having just come back into it.

We buy nearly all our wood in as 2.5m cord by the tonne, and as we have always done it has all been hardwood. Now I know a lot of people sell softwood logs, which I reckon if you buy per tonne and sell per cube must give more per tonne? So which softwood is good to sell? I know of one merchant who says he sells Larch, is that any good?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Fentiger,

We sell alot of softwood logs. One of our customers has a stoves showroom and always has a couple of stoves lit. Their prefered wood is douglas fir but we have found that providing it is well seasoned and dry from the rain, then any soft wood will sell to our customers.

Thanks for the answers.

Kindlett, we`ve been selling for £60 a cube for the first and £55 after that on the same load (we have a trailer that holds six x 1 cube bins). Not as much as some on here, but we`d rather provide something that is seen as good value and build a good client base. Will probably charge a little more next winter, although we still have several cowboys round here quoting so much per ton! Then we get the calls `how much for a ton of logs`! Just wish people would realise how they get so ripped off by some.

Phone call I got this week went as follows:

Me: Morning, how can I help.

Customer: Hi, how much for a load of logs please?

Me: 1.5 cube load is £105.00 or 3 cube for £200.00 all hardwood.

Customer: Blimey, I normally get about 2 and a half tonne for 70 quid.

Me: Well best you go back to your usual supplier then, cos I cant even buy it in for that price. How big is the trailer that its normally delivered in then.

Customer:Oh its quite big, Its about 6ft by 4ft and about a foot deep.

Me: Firstly, have you ever had a weight ticket with your delivery and secondly, my trailer is 8foot long by 5foot wide and is 43cm deep and it holds 1.5 cubic meters which is no-where near a tonne of dry firewood.

Customer: Hmmm. Thats a big trailer.

Me: Okay, well I'll let you go and do the maths and then you can order another small 2 and a half tonne load in that tiny trailer. Have a good day.

Oh how I laugh sometimes:001_rolleyes:

Phone call I got this week went as follows:

Me: Morning, how can I help.

Customer: Hi, how much for a load of logs please?

Me: 1.5 cube load is £105.00 or 3 cube for £200.00 all hardwood.

Customer: Blimey, I normally get about 2 and a half tonne for 70 quid.

Me: Well best you go back to your usual supplier then, cos I cant even buy it in for that price. How big is the trailer that its normally delivered in then.

Customer:Oh its quite big, Its about 6ft by 4ft and about a foot deep.

Me: Firstly, have you ever had a weight ticket with your delivery and secondly, my trailer is 8foot long by 5foot wide and is 43cm deep and it holds 1.5 cubic meters which is no-where near a tonne of dry firewood.

Customer: Hmmm. Thats a big trailer.

Me: Okay, well I'll let you go and do the maths and then you can order another small 2 and a half tonne load in that tiny trailer. Have a good day.

Oh how I laugh sometimes:001_rolleyes:

well woodworm we all get em - a farmer friend of ours sell his firewood by his trailer and says hes delivering 3 tonne, because its in a 3 tonne trailer - but theres no more than in the back of my transit tipper - about 2 cube, the sides are low and the trailers only about 7 x 5 with foot high sides - trouble is the customers believe him!

:sneaky2: