£200 saw upgrade

djbobbins

At risk of asking the same question 50 other people have asked on here...

I've got about £200 to spend on a new saw.

I'm got some experience of using chainsaws and have equipped myself with boots, helmet, gloves (trousers next on the list).

I was given a cheap (from Aldi) 38cc, 16" saw which I have used for the last couple of years, during which time I've felled a couple of decent sized eucalyptus (40 foot), done a fair bit of logging and most recently felled about 30 alder. The saw is now difficult / impossible to start and I'm a bit concerned about its safety - it seems to be prone to bouts of over-revving and I'm not convinced that the chain brake would have any effect if anything happened.

I've now got the opportunity to manage a piece of woodland, basically just thinning out to allow me to take as much firewood as I want. It's mainly alder (not necessarily the best for burning, I know) so the bulk of it is only 10" or so but there are a few bigger bits in there.

I will probably do about 10-15 sessions a year down at the wood, so don't want to splash out £500 on a saw, but what I do want is:

something which will start and run from cold, warm or hot

16-18" bar

conventional chain tensioner

will provide 5 years plus of service on the workload I want from it

Having looked around I was very tempted by a Mcculloch ProMac 10-46 (I've had good experience with Mcculloch garden gear before) but see that in most places it is out of stock so I'm guessing its discontinued.

I'm now thinking about a Jonsered CS2138, which seem to be going for about £170 - but the question in my mind is whether it's worth the extra 100 sheets and a slight compromise on bar length to go for a Husky 435 instead??

(Or - I've got no particular hang-up on brand, so if anyone has a different suggestion I am happy to consider all options!)

Thoughts / views / opinions appreciated.

As my mate Spikey says, get some saw pants first!:w00t:

You need to remember, you will get what you pay for, except, you will get more discount from a main dealer for say a stihl, than you will from B&Q for a McCulloch. Hence more saw for your money.

As for the chain brake on your present saw, test it by running it at full throttle and sticking the chain brake on. If it brakes, it was no good!

Oh, and as for Alder, it makes very good firewood:thumbup1:

Forget B+Q specials, get a second hand Stihl ot husky first if you cant afford new, you will get most of your money back if you sell it so wont loose out much. Jonsered, Husky or stihl around 45cc and a 15" bar is all you need, why do you want an 18" bar? shorter bar more power, easier to handle and safer.

I'd go with a Makita saw if buying new. Once you get past the colour of the things I think you get more for your money then buying a new sthil or husq. That or find a friendly second hand dealer who can get you a good saw. My local place was selling a 70cc sthil at 250 quid then again he does good deals with me. By the way the saws are legit before anyone asks.

1) Forget the 18" bar; 15 or 16" will be better in every way.

2) Forget the saws you've mentioned; it's got to be Stihl, Husky, Jonsered (but not the one you listed - it's another crap McCulloch in drag), Makita or perhaps Echo (but only the CS-510 or CS-600).

3) Are you qualified?

4) PPE first, saw second.

5) etc etc

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor

Will definitely be getting the trousers as well; I have got a contact today for one of our PPE suppliers at work (I work for a major utility) so will have a bit of a fish to see if I can get a decent price!

I'm not certificated but have been felling trees and doing logging for 25 years, using chainsaws, felling axes and even a two man cross-cut saw.

If the Jonsered 2138 is out (and from what I've seen of reviews of Poulan equipment, if it's a rebadged Poulan then it is out), what about a Husky 435, 15" bar? I have found somewhere doing them for £255.:confused1: