which is best for me ?

lurch_917

hi im going to ask the advice of this group what would you say would be the best course for a novice wanting to be a bit more , like small diameter felling say upto 18-20 inch diameter . i know this will proberbly bring up a few awnsers but thanks anyway . oh looking in the northampton  area if that will help.

1 hour ago, lurch_917 said:

like small diameter felling say upto 18-20 inch diameter .

Yes .  I all honesty what are your intentions  ?  If you are a novice ( as you describe your self ) then any course is better than no course but it would be better if you told us what it is you want to be doing .

on what i  intend to be doing well i just want to have all of my ducks in a row for the legal side of things . also if i can do the courses i can look at a carrer change later on with a head start if i join a recognised firm .

what i meen by head start is a company is more likely to hire a new starter who has gone part of the way .

Edited by lurch_917

6 hours ago, lurch_917 said:

on what i  intend to be doing well i just want to have all of my ducks in a row for the legal side of things . also if i can do the courses i can look at a carrer change later on with a head start if i join a recognised firm .

what i meen by head start is a company is more likely to hire a new starter who has gone part of the way .

Ok . Fair play . I think ( as above ) you will need to do the cross cutting and maintenance first then the felling of small trees . They used to be called 30 ,31, and 32 or something like that . 

12 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Ok . Fair play . I think ( as above ) you will need to do the cross cutting and maintenance first then the felling of small trees . They used to be called 30 ,31, and 32 or something like that . 

thanks stubby i am looking at both of the lantra courses as i hear there may be a place in towster that runs them .

• Like 1

I'd be wary of the lantra courses, things may have changed in recent times but some forestry companies don't recognise them, which may not be a big issue for u.

The other thing with lantra tickets is they have ( or did have) a 5 yr expiry date on them Nptc don't..

i dont think n arb they have the 5yr training thing they now have on commercial forestry/fisa sites, but if u don't change carear for the next ffew yearrs no point in ur ticket running out and needing to redo it

The things covered on both courses will be almost identical anyway, unless thing have changed i would pay the extra for nptc tickets.

As an aside, can u mix and match tickets? if u started of with ur basic cross cut/main + small fell lantra can u then do an nptc say med trees or climbing??

21 minutes ago, drinksloe said:

I'd be wary of the lantra courses, things may have changed in recent times but some forestry companies don't recognise them, which may not be a big issue for u.

The other thing with lantra tickets is they have ( or did have) a 5 yr expiry date on them Nptc don't..

i dont think n arb they have the 5yr training thing they now have on commercial forestry/fisa sites, but if u don't change carear for the next ffew yearrs no point in ur ticket running out and needing to redo it

The things covered on both courses will be almost identical anyway, unless thing have changed i would pay the extra for nptc tickets.

As an aside, can u mix and match tickets? if u started of with ur basic cross cut/main + small fell lantra can u then do an nptc say med trees or climbing??

nice to know thanks chap.

Brampton Valley Training in Towcester, give them a ring they are friendly and have a chat or pop in to the office. That's what I did in the first place, about 6 years ago and now I've done a load of courses with them.

The starting point for nearly everything NPTC is the maintenance/cross cut/felling up to 380mm which is a 5 day course, plus a day for assessment if you want the ticket after. It's still known as CS30/31 but the numbers actually changed a while ago.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

Brampton Valley Training in Towcester, give them a ring they are friendly and have a chat or pop in to the office. That's what I did in the first place, about 6 years ago and now I've done a load of courses with them.

The starting point for nearly everything NPTC is the maintenance/cross cut/felling up to 380mm which is a 5 day course, plus a day for assessment if you want the ticket after. It's still known as CS30/31 but the numbers actually changed a while ago.

thanks Dan will look into them .

• Like 1