Fruitwatch

Mark J

I grow apples for a living. Each year you have to put the first fungicide on against scab as soon as the buds burst, for the last 30 years that has been 13,14 or 15th of March. This year it was 15th March, the only exception was "Beast from the East" year when the spring was very cold and it was well into April before the buds burst.

I think they are looking for something that isn't there and certainly not in my experience.

But they are scientists so you can be fairly sure they will find what they want, they usually do.

I am not saying the climate isn't changing because my gut feeling is that it is but the changes aren't moving the seasons they are increasing the extremes we get. Apart from ivy, that classic canary in the coal mine of the arb world.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

28 minutes ago, Peasgood said:

I grow apples for a living. Each year you have to put the first fungicide on against scab as soon as the buds burst, for the last 30 years that has been 13,14 or 15th of March. This year it was 15th March, the only exception was "Beast from the East" year when the spring was very cold and it was well into April before the buds burst.

I think they are looking for something that isn't there and certainly not in my experience.

But they are scientists so you can be fairly sure they will find what they want, they usually do.

I am not saying the climate isn't changing because my gut feeling is that it is but the changes aren't moving the seasons they are increasing the extremes we get. Apart from ivy, that classic canary in the coal mine of the arb world.

Your input into the dataset would probably be well welcomed. 

55 minutes ago, Mark J said:

"A temporal mismatch: plants flowering too early in the year for the insects that pollinate them.

That's what currently happening now, thanks to climate change."

The above is a copy and paste of part of the text from the link you posted to Fruitwatch. They appear to already have decided the answer and I wrote my previous reply without knowing this was on there.

They are the same kind of folk that tell you without bees there won't be any apples. I don't see bees in my orchards, the reason is that apple flowers don't produce enough nectar to make it worthwhile but the narrative will say I am killing them with pesticides. (I'm not) Pollination in apples does rely on insects and also by the wind too but hover flies aren't so emotive as bees so the story is changed. 

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Peasgood said:

"A temporal mismatch: plants flowering too early in the year for the insects that pollinate them.

That's what currently happening now, thanks to climate change."

The above is a copy and paste of part of the text from the link you posted to Fruitwatch. They appear to already have decided the answer and I wrote my previous reply without knowing this was on there.

They are the same kind of folk that tell you without bees there won't be any apples. I don't see bees in my orchards, the reason is that apple flowers don't produce enough nectar to make it worthwhile but the narrative will say I am killing them with pesticides. (I'm not) Pollination in apples does rely on insects and also by the wind too but hover flies aren't so emotive as bees so the story is changed. 

That is a link to a post that they "retweeted", probably in order to gain more attention.
Scientific studies are designed to factor in variables to prove or disprove hypotheses. It is highly likely that the people running this study will be factoring in different pollinators in their research.
This project could actually help your business.

Edited by Mark J

Ok, I gave it a go but it is too early to report first apple flower yet as they are nowhere near.

I do wonder though that having specified apple why I was given a choice of A,B,C,D,E from 4 pictures, one of which I am fairly sure was pear.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Peasgood said:

Ok, I gave it a go but it is too early to report first apple flower yet as they are nowhere near.

I do wonder though that having specified apple why I was given a choice of A,B,C,D,E from 4 pictures, one of which I am fairly sure was pear.

Not all heroes wear capes. If I was running that study I'd be over the moon to receive responses, and suggestions how to do things better from people like yourself.